The Sewing Place

the etiquette of buying a sewing machine

Ohsewsimple

Re: the etiquette of buying a sewing machine
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2022, 12:19:21 PM »
@Iminei don’t need to see it, just put  your nail by the wire and gently nudge it. 

annierose

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2022, 08:41:32 AM »
Thanks all for your interest.
I received the machine back from Janome yesterday evening, and did a quick 'thread'. It was fine and felt completely different to the first time I tried it.
In the stupid way of things, I now have 5 days of medical appointments & family commitments, so won't get to use it properly until after the weekend!
However, it now feels 'right' so am a lot happier, but quite unable to help anyone else with their threading issues! Janome's collection & delivery were very efficient.

Everything else about the machine is excellent. I did a 'trial piece' - the Mallow top from Tauko #3. This patches woven scraps and uses them to bind & decorate a knit top. So I used lots of different stitches. Scraps from previous projects, and a knit from a 'lucky dip' box; but I have ended up with a very decent top, so am pleased

Gernella

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2022, 18:09:45 PM »
I haven't forgotten when I sent a machine back to Pfaff (just purchased) because it wouldn't work on the 'tacking' stitch.  It came back three weeks later and still wouldn't work so after having to use the old one, which was nice, but when you've got more bells and whistles, I didn't want to part company again.

When I got a new machine beginning of last year, I went through the instructions and discovered that it had worked properly all the time.   I expected a nice long tacking stitch, what it actually did was one stitch and then you had to physically move the fabric and do the next stitch.  I felt a right wally.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

annierose

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2022, 22:02:50 PM »
Oh dear! Mind you that does sound more bother than tacking by hand.

So Chic

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2022, 07:41:43 AM »
@Gernella   the tacking stitch on my Bernina is the same as your Pfaff in that I have to move the fabric.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Gernella

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2022, 09:52:47 AM »
I also discovered  something else.  There was actually a stitch that just went backwards, I always used the button on the machine before.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

toileandtrouble

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2022, 14:31:36 PM »
@Gernella  and @So Chic  Do your machines have the option to save stitch programmes?  You could do a run of tack, space, space, tack, space, space and so on. Then the machine would do a run of tacking for you. Repeat as needed.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Lachica

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2022, 14:33:48 PM »
@toileandtrouble thank you! Why haven't I thought of that??
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

In2sewing

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2023, 10:13:46 AM »
As a shop, I would only support the machines I sell or there is a charge.

Totally understand your local dealers position.

So Chic

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2023, 16:24:14 PM »
@toileandtrouble    a very belated thank you for your suggestion of saving tacking stitches on my Bernina and I will try it when I next use my machine.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up