The Sewing Place

I want to do a 'Disappearing 9 patch'

b15erk

Re: I want to do a 'Disappearing 9 patch'
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 09:43:35 AM »
Thank you Brenda, your comments are much appreciated.  I think I was overthinking the thing, and trying to utilise the horrid blocks I made last year too - those are now going in the bin.

Yes, I have stitched the scallops, but not right at the edges, so maybe I'll go and re-visit that later.

Atm I just want enough yardage to cover the 2 cushions, and I'll be a happy bunny.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 10:33:37 AM »
You are so right! and you have done such a wonderful job with, quite frankly, fabrics I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.
Brilliant idea to applique the hearts, beautifully done as well by the looks of it!

Indeed a very cunning plan, my liege
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

maliw

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 17:59:37 PM »
That is lovely, I like the appliqued hearts and I love pink and grey together. Well done with the seam matching too.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

b15erk

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2017, 11:24:00 AM »
I did a couple more blacks last night, and spent the evening cutting daisies from yardage - made an awful mess!  Got some more supplies this morning, so things should zip along a little faster - talking about zips - I forgot to buy them, so I'll have to have a root to see if anything I've already got will work.... Velcro at a push.... or, Buttons!!  I've got loads, and the buttonholer is all set up!!  Result.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

rubywishes

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2017, 12:24:42 PM »
Very pretty.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

b15erk

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 09:52:33 AM »
Nearly done 7 half decent blocks, and a couple not so decent, and as it turns out, I have more than enough.

I picked the cushions up at the weekend, and they are much smaller than I thought (see pics)

As always, I've created a problem. The finished blocks are 13" approx, and the width of the cushion, 17".

So, what do I do?  Just put a border round the base block?

Then there's the back, which is the same width, but taller.  Add 1/2 a block to make the length?

Problems, problems, I think I'll stick to dressmaking.... ;)

Jessie

Iminei

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 10:20:26 AM »
What are those dragonflyie things???

Applique ?? Transfers?? Sew ons?? Iron ons??? Did you make them yourself?? Buy them?
and they look different on the grey ???

We need answers !!!  :D

b15erk

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 10:28:31 AM »
Im, those dragonfly things are my attempt at dragonfly applique, and yes I did make them myself, as an attempt to break up the horrid colour, which isn't grey, it's a sage green.  I cut them from a bit of lace which was roughly the shape of a wing, and put some braid down the centre.

Applique is much easier since I bought the right stuff, I think the Americans call it Heat and bond.  You iron it on the applique, and then apply the applique to the fabric.

Don't look too closely please!   Apart from not being finished, it's a tad 'unorthodox' in construction :)

Jessie

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:30:41 AM by b15erk »

Lowena

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 10:57:12 AM »
Will applique and lace be suitable for a chair cushion which might get a lot of use ?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

b15erk

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 11:02:23 AM »
Lowena, do you know, that didn't even cross my mind!!  :)   I'm doing the 'back' side pretty plain so she can flip it over maybe?

The chair is mainly used for story telling, so, just 1/2 an hour at night.  Tbh, I just want it off the to-do list!

I hope I never see this fabric again!

Jessie

Lowena

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2017, 11:06:44 AM »
It's lovely and you should be very proud of yourself, they'll all love it  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

wrenkins

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2017, 13:46:31 PM »
I think it's very pretty and sissy and nearly too lovely to sit on.
Well done on bringing it all together.  :pin: (That's a star  :[)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2017, 18:20:47 PM »
those dragonfly things are my attempt at dragonfly applique, and yes I did make them myself, as an attempt to break up the horrid colour, which isn't grey, it's a sage green.  I cut them from a bit of lace which was roughly the shape of a wing, and put some braid down the centre.

I hope you didn't misunderstand my tone Bi5erk, they are wonderful,
I was just very curious as to how, what they were...
Are there two different types??? the ones on the grey look more 'translucent'...

You could sell those as card toppers / embellishments you know ... they are very good !!!

b15erk

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2017, 09:09:25 AM »
Im, they really aren't good!  I don't know why one pair looks more translucent, they are made the same.  The body is different on the second set, and I don't think it works as well as the pink trim.

Onwards! I have bordered my first block!  And, made the back for it!  Ta Da! (Pics below) After I had done the underside, I had a thought that DD would probably prefer this, as it's simpler.  So, the cushion will be reversible!

Now I need to make lots of piping, cut out the corner bits (very fiddly),  cut out the bit that joins the top to the bottom, and make some button plackets.

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2017, 12:11:11 PM »
What a shenanigans!!  I had originally drawn patterns for these cushions, but not measured them up properly, just working on a 171/2" minimum measurement.

It was so frustrating to find that there a) isn't a straight line on either cushion, and b) they are different lengths from top to bottom and side to side.

This has entailed lots of unpicking and re-bordering, and I've just got the size approx right for the back cushion.

I'm not going any further without drawing a pattern, as it's easier to work with than foam.  ><

Jessie