The Sewing Place

UFOs - Completing those unfinished projects

SewRuthieSews

UFOs - Completing those unfinished projects
« on: June 03, 2022, 18:46:23 PM »
I'm going to work on one of my UFOs, has anyone else got one they want to work on, we could make it a bit of a sewalong.
View A jacket

I cut this out in May 2008. It was supposed to be the jacket to go with trousers and a skirt from the same fabric. I did sew this little capsule in 2008 but the jacket didn't make it. I haven't kept any of these garments.

I then started sewing the jacket in October and November 2016 and made good progress, though I'd already got rid of the other garments by this point.

I then packed it away again and found it in the most recent sort out of sewing projects.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 19:22:36 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Tamnymore

Re: UFOs - Completing those unfinished projects
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 19:05:45 PM »
 Oh yes I have UFOs aplenty! Perhaps not from as long ago as that though. I cut something out then I fancy doing something else then I change the overlocker thread.....
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 19:16:06 PM »
14 years
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 19:39:30 PM »
I've just tried it on and it is not going to button up.
It has got quite a lot of seams though so I could unpick them and let them out a bit.
The sleeve is going to be too tight as well, but I found I've put the spare fabric with it. Approx 75cm. I couldn't find this in 2016 when I found I'd not cut the insides of the pocket flaps - I sorted it with lining.

I could recut new larger sleeves, or add an underarm panel. Or change to a 2 piece sleeve

Whatever I do will need to be reflected in the lining. It needs a lining but there isn't one, so I'll have to draft it, and its not just a simple front/back setup, there's a side panel and a back/shoulder facing as well as the front facing for the lapels/collar.
I reckon that's all stuff I could tackle now, though it won't be a work jacket!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 14:42:11 PM »
I decided I'd do some more on the UFO this afternoon.
So far I have let out the side seams and the centre back seam, added a strip to the underarm of the sleeves to make them wider, sewn on the undercollar and made the facing.
I've paused for a coffee and to let my brain have a little rest :-)

(There is a reason projects end up as UFOs and I think in this case it was because it was a bit too complicated for me).

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 22:20:08 PM »
After coffee I sewed on the collar and drafted the lining pieces and cut them out.
They are not quite the right shape but I think I can make it work OK if I smooth the angle to a curve.

It has definitely required more brain power than some of my recent projects, but I'm pleased with how the collar lies (no puckers, nice corners).