The Sewing Place

CopyCat Time!

b15erk

CopyCat Time!
« on: June 07, 2022, 13:24:36 PM »
I bought a lovely chiffon jacket in TKMaxx at the weekend, and I love it!  So simple though, that I'm hopeful I can copy it, and it will use up some of the chiffon stash.

Very simple pattern (I think), and very little sewing - always good for chiffon!

Watch this space...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

realale

Re: CopyCat Time!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 14:22:06 PM »
Oooh, that reminds me of an article in, I think, Threads where they showed you how to do a topper like that. I think they used a scarf. That was many years ago but your jacket reminded me of it. I'm sure you will be able to replicate it.
So many beers, so little time.

maliw

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 14:58:52 PM »
Nice jacket, yes you should be able to copy it - fingers crossed.
I must admit I hate sewing chiffon.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 15:16:07 PM »
Thank you both @realale  and @maliw !

I've just spent a couple of hours measuring the original, and figuring the neck out.  I've made a mock up, and all seems straightforward, I just have to decide if I can manage without cutting front and back ie, leaving it all in one piece.  The original is a front and a back, but I think that may be an unnecessary seam.

@maliw , I hate sewing chiffon too, but I have loads of it, so if this works out, it may be an easy way of getting rid of some easily.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

maliw

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 20:02:38 PM »
Make it with as few seams as possible @b15erk
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

realale

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 23:20:04 PM »
The one I half remember was in one piece like a large rectangle, but the front bit had like an elongated keyhole to provide a neck & front opening. Hope you understand that from my garbled explanation!!
So many beers, so little time.

Puzzler

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 07:56:49 AM »
I have drooled over some beautiful prints in chiffon but I have yet to attempt sewing with it. I look forward to seeing your rendition.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 10:31:29 AM »
Thanks so much for the advice @realale , @maliw

I'm nearly done, just got the front band to finish.  I took on board the suggestion about less seams the better, so I didn't join across the shoulder @maliw .  I also did the keyhole trick - thanks @realale , it made putting on the front band very easy!

I also used a new technique - to me, on the overlocker.  The standard 4 thread seam looked far to bulky, as did the 3 thread, so I tried the 2 thread - which was recommended for fine fabric, and it worked beautifully, although fitting the little dodad to convert was a bit of a faff.  There was absolutely no way I was going to do fine rolled hems on either the sewing machine, or the overlocker, this way, I got a neat finish, and was able to turn a fine seam easily.

It does a little strange atm because it's been stabilised with nearly a full can of spray starch!  :laughing:

Pics later!

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 12:30:27 PM »
Too late now I know.  But an overlocker is useful if doing French seams.  Use it for the first pass with a narrow 3 thread.  Saves trimming all that excess off!  Works a treat!

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2022, 15:04:47 PM »
Thank you for the tip @Ohsewsimple , I'll remember that one, fortunately, this jacket has no seams!  :thumb:

A few finished pics.  Mine is slightly larger, as I used all the fabric I had - I've just got two tiny pieces left over!

Very pleased with how this turned out, and the easiest way I've found to cope with pesky chiffon!

Jessie

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2022, 15:08:38 PM »
That's gorgeous fabric - I can see why you bought it (even though it was chiffon!!)  Lovely jacket.   :thumb:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2022, 15:14:15 PM »
Oh that’s a great make.  Simple but really effective!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2022, 15:23:52 PM »
Lovely colours.  Does the jacket have sleeves sewn, or is it like an open fronted cape?

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2022, 15:39:32 PM »
Thanks gals!  I'm really pleased with it, especially as the fabric had been in the stash since Adam was a lad! (Well, at least the 90's!  ;) )

@Bodgeitandscarper , the sleeves are just defined by a 4" row of stitching 18" from CFront and 10" down from the shoulder - it was quite tricky measuring that, as the fabric was slipping.  I think it just stops it being like a poncho?  :thinking:

The beauty of it is, that sizing is very simple, and you shorten both length of sleeves, and fronts and back, by taking a bit off the hems!

Jessie

Flobear

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2022, 15:52:53 PM »
Ooh, very wafty. You need to sweep down a curving staircase in that one  :D
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!