The Sewing Place

Cream top in Sienna crepe

Silver Rose

Cream top in Sienna crepe
« on: June 07, 2022, 16:22:54 PM »
The fabric arrived yesterday! Good service from Minerva and Royal Mail.
Cut this top out using  New Look 6483 View A  it is a simple semi fitted top. The crepe was so slippery to handle, I'm afraid the air was blue at times  :D.  I'll do french seams to make it neat. I've ordered some beige habotai lining for the gold skirt and also some purple for the wool crepe I bought to make the Vogue 1703 skirt.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 16:26:50 PM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

b15erk

Re: Cream top in Sienna crepe
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 10:35:44 AM »
Having just cut out a chiffon top @Silver Rose , I feel your pain.  In my case I was able to stabilise a little with spray starch, but I don't think that's an option with cream crepe... :rolleyes:

Look forward to seeing your top!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 12:23:39 PM »
@Silver Rose I use tissue paper under any dodgy fabric like that.  I mark a large right angle at one end of the paper.  I rip or  pull to get the grain straight.  Then I pin the fabric along the right angle.  When I cut I cut through fabric and paper.   Your scissors behave like  they’re cutting through paper.  There’s no wiggling and you get a straight cut every time.  Keep the fabric attached to the paper until needed to prevent stretch.  I’ve done loads like this including very fine silk chiffons. 

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 12:37:39 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions, they'll be helpful for the next time.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 09:45:07 AM »
Making slow progress, not doing much in the nice sunny weather and not enjoying sewing it to be honest
Still learning

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 09:59:30 AM »
@Silver Rose would some tissue paper underneath help?  You don’t have an overlocker do you?

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 10:28:18 AM »
Thanks for your advice @Ohsewsimple , I am not having  difficulty sewing the fabric  I am bored with it I suppose  :S I don't have an overlocker  I haven't got room for one and they seem fearsome creatures. I did recut the front facing as it was so narrow and fiddly to handle so now it is a bit deeper. The next job is to attach the facings, then the sleeves and hems and it's done. All in good time  ;)
Still learning

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2022, 13:15:48 PM »
Oh well get it out of the way and onto the next one! :)