The Sewing Place

Hello from Brum (Birmingham if you are not UK based)

keepitsimple

Hello from Brum (Birmingham if you are not UK based)
« on: June 08, 2022, 00:32:09 AM »
Just joined. Already owned an old Janome and a modern Bernina, but during lockdown developed an interest in older mechanical machines that by and large are easy to work on, and got a sort of "bug" for fixing them for something to do.

Now have far more machines than any sensible person would own...and another one about to arrive.

I would now never recommend anyone to buy a modern computerized machine unless they really needed all the stitch options (unlikely) and "creature comforts" such as thread cutting, needle up/down, foot hover, etc. etc..

May be a bit influenced by the fact that my (expensive) Bernina B480 is back at the dealership for the second time with a problem  ><. Also though, having delved into older machines before electronics took over, many of them - not all as cost cutting started in the mechanical era - are made to a standard that you will not find today outside of fully industrial machines.
Too many machines...
Singers: 185K (2 of them), 201K (2 of them) & 401G. Bernina Records: 600, 730, 801 & Nova 900. Bernina 1011, Modern Berninas B480 and B750. Elna star SU. Necchi Lydia 3, Husqvarnas: 19e Special, Optima 150, Viking 1020 & Viking 6570. New Home/Janome: 551 & 609.

Silver Rose

Re: Hello from Brum (Birmingham if you are not UK based)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 07:19:24 AM »
Hello and welcome @keepitsimple ,don't worry you are not alone in owning several machines especially the older models.
Still learning

Cazlyn

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 07:39:39 AM »
Welcome @keepitsimple .
Crafting is my happy place

twopence

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 07:45:41 AM »
Welcome @keepitsimple .

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 08:23:15 AM »
Hello and welcome!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2022, 08:42:43 AM »
Hello and welcome!

realale

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 08:57:53 AM »
Hello & welcome from me too. There are several members here with older machines. I have hand cranks and treadles but I do so love my modern computerised machines  :loveit:
So many beers, so little time.

Helen M

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 10:10:32 AM »
Hello and welcome @keepitsimple.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 10:20:48 AM »
A big welcome from me too @keepitsimple !

You're in the right place here, we are a powerful bunch of enablers!  I love the older machines, my most modern one being my lovely Pfaff 1475 cd which I bought new many a few years ago!  :laughing:

Look forward to seeing some of your projects!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2022, 11:17:22 AM »
Hello and welcome  :D
I used to have a shed full (literally a shed full) of handcranks that had to go when I moved so they were donated to charity to be used in Africa as they were all in working order.  I only have around 10 vintage machines now as well as the computerized.  I tend to move from one to the other depending on what I am sewing!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

maliw

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2022, 11:52:06 AM »
Hello and welcome.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Surest1tch

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2022, 12:51:12 PM »
Hello and welcome to the club @keepitsimple :).
I much prefer old mechanical machines too and have far too many but can't bear to part with any of them  :embarrassed:. I do have 1 basic modern machine that I'm not too keen on, can't remember the make, I only bought simply because it's got stretch stitch on it. Unfortunately it's a plastic body and just not heavy enough to feel like a "proper" machine so it's hardly used.

Kenora

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2022, 14:12:02 PM »
A warm welcome from me too.  :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

bec

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2022, 15:25:18 PM »
Welcome! I'm based in brum too  :D I'm sure you'll find it very friendly and helpful here.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2022, 15:29:43 PM »
Hello from me too.  I think I could claim to be a Brummy as I was born there, although I actually lived in Sutton Coldfield as a child.