The Sewing Place

Squaring up blocks and quilt tops

Lowena

Squaring up blocks and quilt tops
« on: June 08, 2022, 17:58:38 PM »
I thought it would be interesting to see how you go about "squaring up" It's easy to make your blocks a tad too small...or large. How do you regulate things?
When your top is finished.....ditto?
Please share your tips and advice. We can all learn something and everyday is a school day ;)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

Re: Squaring up blocks and quilt tops
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 20:41:38 PM »
I use my 12 1/2" ruler and the diagonal 45degree line .. which I know you have issues with @Lowena
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Kenora

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 20:53:29 PM »
I also use my 12.5" square ruler for smaller blocks, and my giant 30" square ruler for squaring up the finished quilt tops. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 21:05:04 PM »
Another one using whichever square ruler (usually 12,5", but not always), and the 45 degree line.

I've been trying to think what I do with the finished top - I think I use my longest ruler if the edges aren't straight, but generally because the blocks have been squared up individually the top as a whole has to take its chances.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

twopence

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 08:03:20 AM »
Another one using a square ruler and the 45 degree line and squaring up the blocks as I go. I generally find that after the quilting is done it’s fairly square but I do like to ensure that the corners are so that the mitres on the binding sit well.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 08:30:07 AM »
Ooohhhhh!!! A 30" sq ruler!!!!!

I must admit when I squared up The undulating terror .. which was HUGE ... I cleaned up HWMNBN's  building T Square
Again because of the mitred borders I wanted to do

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I think you can just see the T Square leaning against the fence in the first pic ... and how well it worked in the second pic... but it was a lot of faff.

This was done in 2016 !!!!! when the deck was new and very clean ... How I wish I had that space now!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 09:01:50 AM »
My biggest square ruler is 9.5”, so I use that for blocks and I also use it for quilt edges with my 18”x3 ruler in between. It works fine,so I’ve never felt the need for a bigger square. :laugh:

Kenora

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2022, 11:15:40 AM »
I was given the 30" ruler as a birthday present one year. I don't use it very often but when I do I'm always grateful that I have it.  :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2022, 13:11:54 PM »
I use whichever ruler I have and is appropriate for the blocks.  I have an 8.5" x 8.5" which suffices for smaller blocks, and the 6" x 18" or 6" x 24" for anything bigger.  If the blocks are accurate the finished top won't be far out and I seldom measure that (other than to determine how much binding I need to cut.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.