The Sewing Place

Opening my Alison Glass Mystery Box.

Sandra

Opening my Alison Glass Mystery Box.
« on: June 09, 2022, 18:30:22 PM »
I had an email almost a month ago from the Alison Glass website (in the US) offering special mystery boxes of different lines of her fabrics with other goodies added in.
Feeling very sorry for myself - this was while I was in agony a couple of days after my dental disaster - and thinking I could do with something to cheer me up, I checked out what was on offer.

I decided to go for the Quarter Yard Bundle.  :thumb:
The actual details of what I was going to receive have now vanished from her site but I recall a 'rainbow of fabrics', some prints, patterns, she was going to sign a sample of something or other, tester samples of some of her designs...I've forgotten exactly what else but it was quite a long list of other items.

Today the postman handed me this box.  :)

And here's a peep at what is inside.

Sandra.
xxx

Diane

Re: Opening my Alison Glass Mystery Box.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 18:34:17 PM »
ooh @Sandra From what i can see, what lovely bright fabric, off to have a look at the website now
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 18:52:23 PM »
Here's a better look at it before I opened the bag.   

And here's a look at the 'rainbow of fabrics'...

There are 16 in total and they're all full width of fabric, quarter yard pieces. I think that was a fair description saying a rainbow of fabrics.  :thumb: I'm pleased with these.

Other than the fabrics I've received a selection of stationery items. There is a pack of greetings cards in AG design prints. Very simple with no message inside. The fronts say Thank You, Happy Birthday, Hello, Congratulations.
There are some gift tags, a couple of enamel pin badges, some dinky little red scissors, and a weekly planner.

@Diane I'm most familiar with her Sun Print fabrics. They're lovely bright colours but she does lots of others in equally bright shades.

Sandra.
xxx

Diane

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 18:55:53 PM »
@Sandra It's very pretty fabric  :loveit: But i must be good as i have boxes and boxes of fat quarters  :laughing: i like looking at it, it makes me feel good  :embarrassed:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Ouryve

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 19:11:04 PM »
Those are beautiful.  :love:
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Sandra

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 19:21:10 PM »
@Diane  She does some lovely prints. I think @Pearl uses Alison Glass fabrics.

I've also received some quilt patterns, a couple of embroidery transfer sets and a pattern for making a needle book.
I really like the Spectrum quilt. I like the mini hexagon step pattern too. I already have a couple of her mini patterns.  :)

And finally...some prints. Nice quality paper prints of her designs. I really don't know what I'll do with these. I quite like the moth, the toadstool and the two busy patterned ones.
Can't remember the story behind these smaller ones in the bottom right. I'm sure they were her test pieces before they actually went to be printed onto fabrics...?

She's signed the black and white printed square of fabric. Might have been a sample piece from her early days when she had some fabrics printed up through Spoonflower??? Like I said, I can't remember the full details of what the items are exactly in this bundle.
Oh, and there's a pack of stickers too.

Overall, I'm pleased with my bundle. No idea what I'll do with some of the items, but it was a 'mystery' bundle so that's the gamble you take.
I'm not sure that I've had a bargain either. The postage from the US is quite high but I've been lucky that this package didn't get caught up in customs (unless I get a letter in the post asking me to pay  :S )

Sandra.
xxx

Diane

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 19:29:36 PM »
@Diane  She does some lovely prints.

Sandra.
xxx

@Sandra Are you trying to lure me in  :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I don't need any encouragement i can assure you, my stash is growing by the week.

What will you be making with your new fabrics?

Sandra

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2022, 19:50:10 PM »

What will you be making with your new fabrics?

:o I'm supposed to actually make something with them?  :laughing:

They'll be stashed away and eventually get used for something or other. I have no plans for them.

This is the problem with quilting fabrics. They come in such pretty colours or gorgeous prints and they're only tiny little pieces of fabric for a few £
Before you know it you have an enormous stash visible from space.

Sandra.
xxx

Diane

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2022, 19:55:22 PM »
@Sandra I went to a quilt show a few months back, this lady had the most beautiful stall all laid out with fat quarters  :faints: I couldn't help myself and must have bought 30 FQ's off her. No idea what i'll make with them but it's nice knowing they are there for when i do need them. I may make a weighted lap quilt for the winter so i'm sure they'll come in handy then.

Sandra

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2022, 20:07:14 PM »
@Sandra I went to a quilt show a few months back, this lady had the most beautiful stall all laid out with fat quarters  :faints: I couldn't help myself and must have bought 30 FQ's off her. No idea what i'll make with them but it's nice knowing they are there for when i do need them. I may make a weighted lap quilt for the winter so i'm sure they'll come in handy then.

Yep! That's it exactly.  0_0

I've been to the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham a few times with my daughter and even she couldn't resist buying fat quarters.
She'd got her own mini stash by the time she was about 15. She simply loved the pretty fabrics.

Sandra.
xxx

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 20:29:23 PM »
@Sandra and @Diane I wish I could be like that.I love looking at fat quarters ( and indeed other things ) but can never bring myself to buy anything unless I know that I will use it imminently and know where I will use it. I don't seem to be able to be spontaneous  :thinking:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

charley

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2022, 21:08:32 PM »
I have 6 m of liberty lawn fabrics - separate designs, that I was given as gifts (retirement), and I cannot bring myself to use. I have used my 'least' favourite to make 2 mens ties for Christmas presents, the rest I just look at and stroke them. I will use them though. I stopped buying FQs a long time ago, I'm still using the scraps from the bunch I bought several years ago for various things.

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2022, 23:06:59 PM »
I'm another fat quarter lover.  Sometimes you have to wait until the right project comes along - but it often does.  And if it doesn't you have something beautiful to look at while you're waiting for your plans to come together.

I can entirely understand not wanting to cut into Liberty fabrics - they're a work of art all on their own, and when you have a set...   :loveit:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Diane

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2022, 07:10:08 AM »
I just can't seem to help myself when it comes to FQ's, some of them i find irresistible and just have to buy them. I counted mine a few months back and i think there was about 260  :embarrassed: but i love looking at them, they are like a comfort blanket  :laughing: that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it. I will be using some of them as i have some projects in mind that will consume quite a few.

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2022, 07:39:47 AM »
but i love looking at them, they are like a comfort blanket 

And Why Not Ladies ?????

Oh @Sandra  you played a blinder there! That is a gorgeous haul ... I might have gone the same way except from it coming from the States ... I've been stung like that before with customs charges and Royal Mail tax etc ... I hope you werent or had factored that into the cost ...

But what a beautiful surprise and going to the right person ... (Tho' I bet we all seething with envy here :laughing:)

the Kaleidoscope rainbow pattern (?) and the spectrum look like they would be a great use for these fabrics ??????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again