The Sewing Place

Singer collection

Barnyard

Singer collection
« on: June 10, 2022, 19:15:29 PM »
Firstly let me apologise for not responding to PM's received. A lot has happened over the last 2 years for all of us.
I hope that the pandemic did not hit you personally and you all came through the hard times unscathed.

I will be collecting my late brothers machines from his daughters on Sunday. I wonder if there would be any possibility of selling them as a job lot?
99k 15k 201k 221k all restored. I will take photographs and upload them here with the list of pedals and spares...god the spares! More presser feet than I can count and I have no idea what most are!!
He has left a detailed inventory of each machine and pedal and none have been used since his passing.

Wishing you all well
Jim

Iminei

Re: Singer collection
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 19:48:03 PM »
Lovely to hear from you @Jim and Im sure there will be many interested peeps here ...

I would adore a Featherweight but alas .. space, money and locale to collect from could scupper that ....

However we have peeps all over the UK who will no doubt be interested in these beautiful machines ....
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 21:12:26 PM »
It's very nice to see you @Barnyard  , please, please, please don't show me things to tempt me  :boohoo:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 08:58:40 AM by Iminei »

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 12:57:20 PM »
If you can find an instruction manual, particularly for the earlier machines (and you can download soft copies from the internet) you will be able to see what each presser foot was for.  From memory, my DH's grandmother's 1920's Singer had feet that did: pin tucks *and* marked the fabric with a groove to show where the next tuck should go, which I haven't seen for modern machines; ruching/gathering (still currently available); binding (likewise); acted as a guide for parallel stitching or level hemming (now overtaken by markings in needle plates).

Barnyard

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 15:25:16 PM »
I managed to get some free time so took the opportunity to go and pick them up. I will photograph each one separately and give a description as per my brothers notes.
First up 221k.
Notes. Fully stripped and rebuilt. Motor(s) stripped and rebuilt. Internally rewired and capacitor removed. New brushes fitted. Correctly lubed with Singer grease. Both motors are very smooth and will allow one stitch at a time. Machine: Fully rewired. Capacitor removed. Timing set. Lithium grease on gears. LED bulb fitted that does not get hot. Pedal: Stripped, rewired and rebuilt. Any carbon disks that were damaged have been replaced.
Manufactured Sept 4th 1953.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/mPP1AIKdAZ1pgDjuH50XoVkLnOBO3m8ORLhAKWaK7tB

15k. My machine that I personally liked above all others. I didn't get time to fit a new belt but there will be one amongst the spares somewhere along with a full complement of presser feet.
Machine: Stripped and rebuilt. New internal wiring for the lamp. Motor stripped and rebuilt, greased correctly and new brushes fitted. LED lightbulb fitted. Gears lubed with lithuim grease. Timing set and other than the belt it is ready to go. Anyone wanting to try freehand this is the machine to use. Pedal: Completely sanded down and stripped. Repainted with 3 x base coats rubbed down and 4 x black enamel. Very nice finish. Internals stripped and carbon disks replaced if any were damaged. A very very smooth machine that is a joy to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/dDKSFr76JqoN98qiwWB39Te5sm4kzRQjCRYh6BPQ3gM

201k Notes. This is a stunner! Once again I took the time to fully strip and rebuild. All Internal wiring has been renewed and everything is in absolutely stunning condition. This machine is so quiet and smooth it is a joy to use. I left the leather in place as a guide to its sewing potential.
Motor stripped and rebuilt, new brushes fitted, lubed with Singer motor grease. Foot pedal stripped and rebuild with new carbon disks replacing any damaged ones. Main machine has been set up with timing done and everything lubed with Singer oil and lithium grease on the gears. It comes with the original extension table and a  complement of presser feet. Instruction manuals also included that are in excellent condition.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/hhA9YCmMgH7LVOcQ8vbbJk7QDqLzFJsas46MCXht6Me

That is all for today. There is still a 99k and the dreaded 185k still to go as well as all the spares!

Jim

99k Now added. Notes. This was originally a knee operated machine but the control unit had failed so I changed it to a foot pedal unit. It is a lovely machine that is capable of light to medium leather work and is smooth and quiet. Motor stripped cleaned and rebuilt, new brushes fitted. Foot pedal, stripped, rewired and damaged carbon disks replaced.
No light on this one, I never got round to fitting one. Timing done and all lubricated correctly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/zsZMPVsKSTwJAZBIPm2SMi135nFqcdv8DrCGkwzAMi6

So there is just the 185k to photograph, should I bother? The spares too. Lots of presser feet, a couple of spare motors, a foot pedal that is attached to a motor that he used for testing so no doubt that one has been stripped and rebuilt too.

Price. I am no expert in this field but I think for the whole lot £500 is reasonable? What do you think?

Thanks all.
Jim

« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 14:00:33 PM by Barnyard »