The Sewing Place

Pattern for single-breasted coat needed

badgermat

Pattern for single-breasted coat needed
« on: June 11, 2022, 04:14:55 AM »

Hi,

My daughter has asked me to make her a coat. So far, so scary. However, she is quite specific about what she's after (I blame the parents  >:) ). This is the example she's given - https://nz.assemblylabel.com/collections/womens-new-arrivals/products/single-breasted-wool-coat-chalk-pink

All the patterns I can find are either double-breasted or a much more conventional cut and construction. So, does anyone have any suggestions for a pattern I could start with?

I’m not averse to altering the pattern, even quite a lot, but would like to start with something that’s at least vaguely similar.

Thanks

bm

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Acorn

Re: Pattern for single-breasted coat needed
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 07:04:04 AM »
The StyleArc Loren has the same sort of style, but the wrong sort of collar.

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 08:28:38 AM »
Sinplicity 8797 h as the collar but not the boxy shape or the pieced sleeves.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

StitchinTime

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 08:50:10 AM »

misschris

Sewbusy

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 10:50:35 AM »
This could work, omit the pocket flaps and shorten the length.

https://www.makerist.com/patterns/hot-toddy-women-s-wool-coat-sewing-pattern

badgermat

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2022, 11:46:50 AM »

Brilliant.

The Tessuti and Makerist patterns in particular look close enough for me to tweak.

Many thanks for all the suggestions.

bm

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2022, 11:48:22 AM »
I have Burda Style 6462 waiting to sew, and that could work, but it hasn't got the dropped sleeves.

Burda Style 6462

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2022, 12:45:19 PM »
Vogue 2027 from about 1980, if you can find a copy.  I made it the summer I graduated and wore it until it got threadbare about 10 years later.  Funnily enough, about the same time (1981) my granddad gave my brother his old 1950's great coat as he didn't wear it any more.  The styling was identical - just the fit varied!

This pattern is half-lined (Hong Kong finish on unlined seam allowances) but could easily be converted to full lining.

I have a dream to remake this in some good-quality Melton with a bright, satin lining, but I have to work my way through the rest of the stash first!  That and add a FBA, of course...