The Sewing Place

Wadding for Wallhanging

Acorn

Wadding for Wallhanging
« on: June 11, 2022, 16:26:46 PM »
What sort of wadding do you use for a small wallhanging that is definitely not a quilt?

My strawberry thief wallhanging is about 28" by 22" (landscape), and I want it to stay nice and straight and unwrinkled.  It will have a sleeve for a pole.  I was wondering about using the sort of padded stabiliser that is used in bag making - Bosal or Pellon.

Any suggestions?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

Re: Wadding for Wallhanging
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 08:47:50 AM »
I mainly use cotton as they were meant to be quilts that had ideas above their station ....

Apart from Stellarious, the massive Star quilt!

This was a Jenny Doan make where out of a layer cake (10" sqs) you could quickly and easily achieve a huge star ...
Wonderful, Whats not to like?? So I made one, It looked fab so I made 5 others and put them together for an awe inspiring, tape measure busting quilt of 56 1/2" x 82 1/2" and then sets in the realisation that you now have to layer it and buy backing !!!

£££££

So I went round getting ever disappointed by the cost of backing such a humungouos piece until I went to Fabricland and found some HEAVY cream chenille ... at a very good price! It sewed like a dream, think hot knife and butter, and the weight of the chenile ensures it hangs perfectly.

I have some left over you know ?!  ;)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 09:16:34 AM »
Ooooh - I wouldn't have thought of that.

I have some left over you know ?!  ;)

:)  Shall we talk?  I only need a piece 26" by 21".

That is a stunning quilt.   :loveit:

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 09:43:02 AM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Trying to show the colour is awkward in a northfacing room with lights on .. Its a rich cream.

As its heavy and bulky it would have to go (even a lil piece) as a small parcel

And just to clarify I used this as the backing, with a lil I think man made wadding in between ... cant remember what it was, never used it since, dont know why I bought it ... probably cost at that time. Theres a pic of it in the album, showing underneath the top and its very distinctive.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 09:45:21 AM by Iminei »

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 09:47:30 AM »
I think that would be perfect - I hadn't thought of the backing being the main thing to make it hang straight, but of course it makes sense.  The wallhanging is dark red and dark blue, but this would be the back, and is a very similar colour to the walls.

Will PM you!   :thumb:

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 08:26:28 AM »
Hows it going then ?

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 09:42:23 AM »
It's finished, up on the wall and pictured in my diary!   :thumb:

Ouryve

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 18:11:54 PM »
Sorry, but my eyes keep seeing the thread title as waddling  >< :laughing:
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"