The Sewing Place

It's Toile Time!

b15erk

Re: It's Toile Time!
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2022, 08:52:32 AM »
@Nevis5 , I think I'm just contrary.  I do it all the time, I buy/find the 'perfect' pattern, and immediately want to alter/improve it  :laughing:

It certainly keeps me out of mischief!  :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed the sleeve hack works  :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2022, 20:26:27 PM »
Just tried the sleeve I cobbled together, and I'm not sure about it...

I think the pink sleeve looks better - it's fuller, but it's also finer fabric.   :thinking:

I think I'll lay the one I like, on top of the one I did, and make something in between... :thinking:

I'm not doing another practise, I'm going to be very daring, and cut into the fabric tomorrow.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Puzzler

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2022, 07:32:08 AM »
I love that very narrow shawl collar. Armholes and sleeves are my nemesis. Interesting sleeve plus yoke pattern. Never seen one like that until now. I guess I don’t get out much.  ;)

Elnnina

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2022, 10:26:40 AM »
Hi Jessie have been following your latest sewing, and well done you have been so very busy.  Love your Chiffon jacket - just my colours.

I see that you sewjo has well and truly returned and I bet you are pleased, and as for your depleting your UFO's well done I am sure you feel satisfied with doing this.

b15erk

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2022, 20:26:27 PM »
Oh my goodness!  I've progressed from the toile stage, but atm, I'm wondering if perhaps I shoud have done a second toile...

I have already altered the sleeve (which my prove to be a bad idea), and then I had the bright idea to extend the front opening all the way down as I felt it looked dated... :rolleyes:

There are only 4 main pieces to this pattern, and it took me over 4 hours to cut it out.  I had enough fabric (just), but because the fabric has a one way pattern, the cutting out was a nightmare... I may yet end up with a sleeveless dress...

I have never done so many clipped corners in my life, and it has challenged my eyes. :rolleyes:

One more seam, and I'm done for the night  |O

Hopefully, I'll have some pics tomorrow.

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2022, 08:55:28 AM »
Well, that will teach me to crack on, when I'm tired and hot!

I totally forgot that the back yoke is exposed, and forgot to finish it.  So, first job, is to unpick the area and finish those seams neatly - I'm thinking a HK finish as it looks tidier than a row of overlocking.

Then, I discovered, that the right front has a nasty flaw - right at CF on the buttonhole side.  It happened because I had to work right up to the selvedge, and was on the underside of the doubled fabric... :facepalm:  I'm toying with the idea of swapping sides??? and putting buttonholes on the left...

On the whole though, I like this dress.  The sleeve construction is fiddly with all the corners a gathers, but it looks lovely on.  I can't tell how my adapted sleeves look, but if they don't work, I can always change back to the original.

Jessie

realale

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2022, 09:16:01 AM »
That's looking good @b15erk. Do we get a pic of you wearing it?!!  :P
So many beers, so little time.

b15erk

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2022, 09:46:35 AM »
@realale  - I'd scare off new members!  Not even sure it will fit me... :cry:

We'll see  :thinking:

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2022, 14:06:39 PM »
No reason why buttons can’t be on the other side @b15erk.  It would be an easy fix.

b15erk

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2022, 14:56:24 PM »
Hard going this morning with sewing interrupted with phone calls and aerial chaps - again.

Still, I've moved forward a little.

The back yoke has now been HK finished, sleeves gathered, cuffed and basted.  I love the gathered sleeve, and the way it fits with the yoke.  I also basted the side seams, leaving a slit at the bottom - which I like.  I also like the front better, now that I've decided to open it all the way at the front.

Now I need to put on my thinking cap.  How to finish the yoke edges without resorting to hand stitching?  Which buttons will look best?  Or poppers?  To dart or not to dart as this fabric drapes much better than the toile...

Any suggestions gratefully received  ;)

Jessie

realale

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2022, 16:21:55 PM »
Now that's some great pattern matching @b15erk . Respect. :perfect10:
So many beers, so little time.

b15erk

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2022, 19:09:51 PM »
I would really like to say it was all my doing @realale , but it was pure serendipity  :laughing: :laughing:

Just as well I hadn't spent time on it really - I'll be changing the buttonhole side, so it may not match so well!

Last lap (or two) now, finishing the inside, seams and hems to overlock, buttonholes and buttons (or should I do poppers)   :thinking:.

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2022, 10:15:17 AM »
I decided to change the order of work this morning so that I could do some sewing while it was cool.

Only overlocking, but I'd already basted it on the sewing machine, so some seams had to be opened for access.  I've nearly done, it's a bit tricky around the yoke and facing area, so I've left that while I have a  :thinking:

I tried it on this morning, and I did take pics, but I'm totally rubbish at selfies, so ended up taking a pic on the hanger.

I've got the hem left to do by hand, then the buttonholes - I think.  First I need to find suitable buttons  :thinking: , or fo my usual trick of resorting to poppers.  I fairness though, I think it would be better with buttons.

Oh and if someone knows the best way of finishing the yoke/facing, I would be grateful... :rolleyes:

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2022, 12:26:15 PM »
If you can’t overlock it now, just finish it by hand @b15erk

Ellabella

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2022, 13:20:07 PM »
That’s lovely Jessie, so fresh.