The Sewing Place

Best fabric shops/streets in London

WildAtlanticWay

Best fabric shops/streets in London
« on: June 13, 2022, 16:14:43 PM »
I’m off to the smoke at the end of the month and I’d like to stock up on some gorgeous fabrics whilst there as there’s very little over here unless I travel for about 4 hours each way.

Surest1tch

Re: Best fabric shops/streets in London
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 16:22:03 PM »
I haven't actually been to the bricks and mortar shop @WildAtlanticWay but I have ordered from them by post and have been pleased with the stuff I've had from them if that could be any indication for you.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 17:09:27 PM »
Haven't been there for some years but the best place was always Goldhawk Road, Shepherds Bush - loads of shops. Not much in the way of sight-seeing though!

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 17:17:32 PM »
Hmmm....last time I went to Goldhawk Rd a lot of the shops had closed. It is an experience, though, so if you have half a day you should go. Some of the shops are like jumble sales, masses of rolls stacked on end so quite difficult to see what's what. Some are very well organised & very helpful. I remember one had whole goat and sheep skins in a rainbow of colours. Another, beloved of fashion students, had feathers (real ones) stitched onto fabric and all sorts of other exotic fabrics. The Westfield centre is a short walk away so maybe leave the family in the cinema there! 
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 17:33:51 PM »
This might be useful @WildAtlanticWay
https://www.tiharasmith.com/blogs/behind-the-brand/creative-inspiration-fabric-haberdashery-shops-in-london

I always used to head to Berwick St but don’t know what it’s like now.  John Lewis used to be fabulous but that was many moons ago.  Liberty is always a go to place for me too. 

Nevis5

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 08:35:06 AM »
Berwick Street is a desert now.  I went there for a visit not long ago and was shocked.  Borovicks is still there but everything else has gone.  John Lewis is less than useless (in my not humble opinion).  Never been to Goldhawk Road but seems to be quite popular.   Liberty is lovely of course.  If you are prepared to venture a little bit outside Central London there's the Village Haberdashery in Camden (very close to the stations) or I've always been tempted to try Raystitch in Islington.  I have a friend who loves Simply Fabrics in Brixton - I've never been there either but have bought some lovely fabrics online.

Have a lovely time.  Hope the weather is good for you! x

Starryfish

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 12:47:45 PM »
I wanted to go to Dalston Mill once but my daughter wouldn't let me. She was living in hackney at the time and thought I wasn't streetwise enough to be safe! It is a poorish area and you need to be aware.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 12:53:29 PM »
Fabrics Galore in Lavender Hill.  Nothing else around I'm afraid, but I like this shop.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 13:33:01 PM »
It's worth checking out Woolcrest in Hackney. I went there a few years ago and they had a fantastic selection of fabric at great prices. I got a bus from Bloomsbury and it was quite easy to get to once I'd done my homework. I found the exact same fabric as a coat I was wearing that day but much cheaper at Woolcrest.

Classic Textiles on Goldhawk Road is fantastic if it's still going. I got some great Liberty fabric and lovely linen at excellent prices. One virtue of Goldhawk Road is that it's very near a tube station so easy to find for us non-Londoners!

I've heard that Walthamstow market is good for fabric but I've never been. There are YouTube videos and reviews of it online so that might help.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 13:36:45 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2022, 15:36:57 PM »
Thanks @Tamnymore Classic textiles was the one I was trying to remember. Opposite Goldhawk Rd tube station is a market, there's a fabric shop under the arches where I've had some great bargains in the past. The place still has wooden display cabinets & a cashier desk, with vacuum pay tubes! Worth a visit for the blast from the past (though @Ouryve you're probably too young to remember these)
Mary

Ouryve

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2022, 15:45:24 PM »
Tesco had them in the 80s and early 90s, @Lachica. I'm flattered you think I look that young, though *preens*
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Surest1tch

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2022, 16:36:17 PM »
Oh dear, I've just had a quick look at some of the websites your link @Ohsewsimple and wish I hadn't  :boohoo:. So many glorious fabrics I've had to close the link before I have a serious attack of lost control  :boohoo:. I haven't got time to sew unless it's something urgent and won't have until the NHS get both lots of surgery DH needs sorted out but I so desperately wanted to order, order and order some more, there's so much inspiration there.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2022, 22:16:23 PM »
Sorry @Surest1tch  :). I haven’t been through them myself,  perhaps I should!
Hopefully when you have a bit more time.  :hug:

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2022, 07:49:08 AM »
Mmm, now I’ll have to work out where to send the boys off to so I can have a peaceful spending spree…

Lachica

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2022, 11:35:01 AM »
Cinéma in Westfield centre if you want them nearby. Depends on their interests, Greenwich park is lovely & there's the observatory there. London transport museum has buses!
Mary