The Sewing Place

Bernina 830 Record £175

WildAtlanticWay

Bernina 830 Record £175
« on: June 15, 2022, 07:59:28 AM »
Hi guys,

I’ve been offered a well looked after and well used Bernina 830 Record for £175.

It only comes with the basic foot and no extra feet.

I’m very tempted as I do like the older solidly built machines. For those who have had this machine, is it worth it? Will I be able to buy parts and spare feet easily?

Sewbusy

Re: Bernina 830 Record £175
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 09:02:32 AM »
Old old style feet are usually available on Ebay or, you can still buy new from Bernina suppliers.

Parts or accessories? Really depends on what you need /want. 

Foot pedals/leads etc. Genuine original are only available used, as are pedal caddy, extension tables, hard cases, accessories box and knee lifts.

Parts that wear, Cam Stack Gears (not all available are equal!) and Bobbin Winder mechanism/Tyres and Belts can also be purchased new.

A fabulous machine and will last for many years if serviced and cared for.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 09:11:16 AM »
I googled that model and found this, if it's of any use - linky to review.

Elnnina

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 10:02:16 AM »
WildAtlanticWay, oh a Bernina 830 machine brilliant.  This was the one machine that Bernina got totally right, hence it attracts high prices.  Oh this will be so exciting for you - good luck.

With regards to any extra feet/accessories may I recommend  Bernina (Bogood's) own parts place which is down in Cardiff, they have many feet and accessories for old machines and will certainly be able to help you, however even these old style feet cost quite a lot.  By the way the ladies at  Cardiff are extremely knowledgeable and will help you no end.  The phone number is 029 2079 2079.

I can let you have details of the feet that actually came with the machine, and by the way if you can get hold of a manual it is laid out well and so easy to follow.  I would recommend that if you have this machine well worth getting this serviced - after all this was a top of the range machine back in its time, and you will notice that it 'purrs' along nicely afterwards.  Only use the specific Bernina bobbins on this machine they are metal.

I was looking at Helen Howes' site over the weekend, and she has/had some older Bernina feet, including the little black gadget that is used to unscrew the needle screw.

If I can help any more, just ask - I am always in need for a distraction as you well know.

keepitsimple

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 11:06:08 AM »
Very nice machines - especially if the one you have has the knee lift option as well. Fairly smooth and quiet running for an oscillating hook machine. My 801 - lacks a knee lift, and has fewer stitches but otherwise mechanically the same - gets a fair amount of use.

Feet often crop up on ebay - also the ones intended for the 1000 range will fit and still available new. They are not cheap !

Other spares - those that you may need anyway - are generally available. For example, if this is the "electronic" version, the foot pedal for the 1008 etc. will fit and is still available (again at a price).

You can also get an adaptor that will let you use normal low shank feet. Note this is an after-market one, not the clip on feet adaptor sold by Bernina - that will work only with Bernina clip on feet, not generic ones (the needle hole will be in the wrong place).
Probably one of the best domestic mechanical machines they made, only drawback for some people is the lack of stretch stitches that came in with the later series of machines.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 11:09:07 AM by keepitsimple »
Too many machines...
Singers: 185K (2 of them), 201K (2 of them) & 401G. Bernina Records: 600, 730, 801 & Nova 900. Bernina 1011, Modern Berninas B480 and B750. Elna star SU. Necchi Lydia 3, Husqvarnas: 19e Special, Optima 150, Viking 1020 & Viking 6570. New Home/Janome: 551 & 609.

StitchinTime

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 12:20:56 PM »
There is a manual available for the machine on the Bernina website.(It is a zip file, but it downloaded OK for me and I could see the PDF files.)

If you do decide to get this machine, I think I have an automatic buttonhole foot that I got for my Bernina 707 only to find that buttonholes on the 707 are not automatic and you have to turn the garment rather than use reverse.

This blog post has a useful vintage photo of the feet available for vintage Berninas.

Sewbusy

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 15:21:17 PM »
The price is an absolute bargain, I'd snap it up. There aren't too many of the feet I have that I use regularly, the basic, embroidery, small darning and gathering foot.

All the decorative stitches are achieved with the embroidery/satin stitch foot and I do have a circular embroidery attachment that is extremely useful.

A genuine Bernina Adaptor is a must if you want to use a Ruffler attachment or binder attachment.