The Sewing Place

Finally finished the Hornpipe Costume

Oakmaiden

Finally finished the Hornpipe Costume
« on: June 21, 2017, 19:59:21 PM »
Mostly pleased with it.  I ended up making it out of scuba, which I am not completely sold on.  I found it snagged really easily, and the fact there were four layers of it around the neckline means it got really thick so I don't like the way the collar sits.  And the thick hem at the bottom of the tunic is too thick as well....

Lilian

Re: Finally finished the Hornpipe Costume
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 20:45:35 PM »
I've not sewn with scuba but see what you mean about the hem.  I don't know what you could do to take away the bulk, maybe a hidden binding.  Nicely made all the same.  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Yellowfeather

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 12:14:52 PM »
Well done you!  It looks great.  I have just finished a very similar set of 10 sailor outfits in scuba fabric too!  I just made the hem on the tunic quite small, then it is not quite so bulky or visible, or you could just overlock and leave it down, from the stage it won't be visible.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 13:25:54 PM »
Is the hem turned once or twice?

Scuba won't fray so a single turn is enough - overlock or zig-zag the edge if you're not sure.  Maybe a fusible such as bondaweb might hold the two layers of fabric together better.

Otherwise it all looks pretty impressive. :flower:  I am in awe of all the tutus and dance costumes I see on here.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Missie

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 15:33:22 PM »
That looks fab.  Re the hem, I'd either do a tiny folded once hem or just overlock and leave it.

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 23:11:26 PM »
Scuba doesn't fray . When  I've used it for dresses I haven't hemmed it at all.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Oakmaiden

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 22:00:09 PM »
Yeah, I think I am going to unpick the hem and do a smaller single fold overlocked in place.  It bugs me too much.

It is going to it's dancer tomorrow morning, so I will get up early to restitch the hem.

Oakmaiden

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 21:47:03 PM »
Better now.

fajita

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 21:51:04 PM »
Much improved with the new hem.

Thecostumelady

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 15:47:24 PM »
Well done, looks really good!  I have found there are different weights of scuba from the heavy ones, almost like the scuba diving suits to a much lighter one that is okay for tops.  Must say I am not a fan though. Ann x