The Sewing Place

Covers for dining chairs

Puzzler

Covers for dining chairs
« on: July 07, 2022, 13:58:36 PM »
I would like to make some covers for the tops of a couple of my dining chairs. No matter how much I warn people and pull the table away from the wall, they still manage to back the chair up which hits the wall and leaves a mark. I have some pre-quilted calico fabric (in photo with chair) to make these covers. I have consulted the Internet but couldn’t find such a thing. I was going to make a paper pattern but am also thinking I could use some scrap fabric and pin something together to see how it looks (a chair toile?). I have enough fabric to self line them so they are extra cushion-y. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Iminei

Re: Covers for dining chairs
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 14:26:09 PM »
I cant remember you have a dining room or chairs ??

Decades ago I was commissioned to make slip on covers for the back of a restaurant's chairs which had began to wear out and look rubbish. This was in 2004, so I have no pics but they were very easy to make and I used some glorious batik fabric from a place that no longer exists in the Triangle, Bournemouth.

My first foray down the slippery slope that is the Darkside  :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 15:13:51 PM »
Aaannd...  @Iminei you always say you can't sew....waistcoats,? Chair covers,? Is there no end to your sewistry?? :laughing:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Puzzler

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 17:32:18 PM »
Aaannd...  @Iminei you always say you can't sew....waistcoats,? Chair covers,? Is there no end to your sewistry?? :laughing:

The waistcoats she sewed had welt pockets. Definitely not a technique for a novice or someone insecure about sewing. I pointed this out to @Iminei once and she replied, “What’s so hard about welt pockets?”  :S >:)

@StitchinTime I only want to put a cover over the back of the chair, not even all the way down to the seat. I don’t expect them to look wonderful but they will be more functional. Thank you anyway.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 19:10:36 PM »
If I'm understanding you correctly all you want is a drop on cover to go over the back of the chair, a bit like a toaster cover or a sewing machine cover.  Careful measurements or a chair toile would work, whichever you feel most comfortable with.  You will probably need ties at the bottom to stop the cover from sliding up and depending on how the chair is constructed they might need to be long ties to gu underneath the seat.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Puzzler

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 07:12:37 AM »
You will probably need ties at the bottom to stop the cover from sliding up and depending on how the chair is constructed they might need to be long ties

Ah, hadn’t thought of that. This is getting more complicated. Will have a further think 🤔 Thank you.

Puzzler

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 12:26:55 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Well, I didn’t need ties in the end. The front section is lined with plain calico. The back section has two layers of quilted fabric which will hopefully prevent marking of wall by chair because person who sits in chair is oblivious to themselves smashing chair against wall.  :S I only needed these on two of the four chairs but might get another metre of the quilted fabric to cover the other two. Have run out of that lavender fabric so will have to use another colour. Not particularly bothered as I don’t like matchy matchy stuff.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2022, 12:31:45 PM »
Looks good. 

WIth thinkgs like this I find that just jumping in and doing it often works simply because you know just what you are aiming for.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 14:55:32 PM »
Does the job!    :thumb:

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2022, 17:28:21 PM »
Looks great, and solves the problem well done

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2022, 19:15:55 PM »
The back section has two layers of quilted fabric which will hopefully prevent marking of wall by chair because person who sits in chair is oblivious to themselves smashing chair against wall:S

Well at least  that cant be me  :angel: ... or is your memory very, very long ???  :rolleyes:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Puzzler

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2022, 19:28:36 PM »

Well at least  that cant be me  :angel: ... or is your memory very, very long ???  :rolleyes:

Nah, you are as good as gold. It’s the Puzzlerettes and their friends.

Celia

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2022, 09:52:25 AM »
Those covers look good and do the job you want, well done for solving a problem.