The Sewing Place

Husqvarna viking class 20

annieeg

Husqvarna viking class 20
« on: June 23, 2022, 18:13:42 PM »
Here's a picture of my latest love  :loveit:
It needs some TLC but stitches beautifully!
   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

keepitsimple

Re: Husqvarna viking class 20
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 19:03:55 PM »
That's brilliant ! I'm sure you'll love it.

Just by coincidence, I got the 19e special out yesterday (and I'd forgotten how heavy these are for a fairly small machine....). It was to re-make some side panels for our garden gazebo. Heavy weight waterproof pvc backed canvas. Several layers at some points where seams and corners overlapped.

Size 100 jeans needle and it steamed through it without breaking a sweat. Used the low gear at some thicker points, although the longer seams were in high gear. I'm sure it would have handled all of it that way if I'd wanted, but the low gear makes very slow stitching so much easier, especially on big heavy items.
(For comparison, the Bernina 1011 (like a 1008 but with more stitches) which was already out and ready to use, stalled constantly and I gave up with it).

Such versatile machines.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 19:05:31 PM by keepitsimple »
Too many machines...
Singers: 185K (2 of them), 201K (2 of them) & 401G. Bernina Records: 600, 730, 801 & Nova 900. Bernina 1011, Modern Berninas B480 and B750. Elna star SU. Necchi Lydia 3, Husqvarnas: 19e Special, Optima 150, Viking 1020 & Viking 6570. New Home/Janome: 551 & 609.

Adey1981

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 12:41:17 PM »
@annieeg
Just curious, but what are those 'teeth' looking things on the underside of the top section?

keepitsimple

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 13:11:47 PM »
They cover the lightbulb. There is a small metal tab at the end of them on the left, and you can pull it down, either to change the bulb (LEd is a good idea as they don't get hot) or to direct the light more closely. At the right end there is a light switch.
Too many machines...
Singers: 185K (2 of them), 201K (2 of them) & 401G. Bernina Records: 600, 730, 801 & Nova 900. Bernina 1011, Modern Berninas B480 and B750. Elna star SU. Necchi Lydia 3, Husqvarnas: 19e Special, Optima 150, Viking 1020 & Viking 6570. New Home/Janome: 551 & 609.

Adey1981

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 14:08:24 PM »
Oooh, cool. Cheers
Nice looking machine btw @annieeg  :sew:

annieeg

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 08:31:27 AM »
I need to give the machine a polish - whars the best product to use?  (Autosol?)

keepitsimple

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 09:49:28 AM »
You might try "elbow grease" (it is a real product !) solvent free de-greaser to get the brown stains off machines. It looks like rust, but generally it is old old oil that has seeped out of the machine over the years.  It seems to work well, and isn't aggressive. I might be a bit careful over the transfers in case they are not clear coated (not sure if they are). Autosol is a more aggresive metal polish (if that's the same product you are thinking of ?) so I'd be careful with using that on painted areas, although according to the Husqvarna service manual, these machines are electrostatically painted with up to 3 coats and heat hardened in between, so the finish should be pretty tough anyway.
The cover where the bobbin winder is, is plastic so probably better just to take that off and wash it separately, but be careful - there's a reason most of them are cracked (like mine)  :( because the screws have been put back in too tight.
I've used Meguiars cleaner and polish designed for musical instruments, like shiny black pianos, to finish off. Those are very gentle on finishes, and work well on machines too. A bit expensive though.

Too many machines...

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 10:28:48 AM »
It is recommended to use sewing machine oil and elbow grease to rub away and get rid of the dirt of years.  I did it on multiple machines and can confirm that it works without damage to the actual paintwork but a lot of time and patience is needed.  Autosol etc should only be used on the chrome bits or will ruin the finish.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 12:50:06 PM »
@keepitsimple Interesting to hear your 19e went through heavy fabric easily, I'm finding mine struggles to start sewing through leather and I have to turn the wheel by hand to start it off.  It's worse in the low gear.  I'm wondering if something is slipping and not driving the needle down, is that a possibility?

keepitsimple

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 17:10:58 PM »
@keepitsimple Interesting to hear your 19e went through heavy fabric easily, I'm finding mine struggles to start sewing through leather and I have to turn the wheel by hand to start it off.  It's worse in the low gear.  I'm wondering if something is slipping and not driving the needle down, is that a possibility?
Definitely something amiss if it struggles in low gear. People often recommend putting the needle down in the fabric to start any machine, but I haven't found that at all necessary. I presume you're using a suitable needle ? that's essential.

There are 2 belts IIRC. One goes from the motor to the low speed/high speed gear box, and the other from the gearbox to the main shaft at the top that drives the needle. One or the other could be slipping I guess. I suppose you would hear the motor still turning, but no needle bar movement in that case. Does the machine sew well for lighter stuff or is it a bit sluggish ?
There is a host of information and expertise available on the Pre-1980 Husqvarnas group. Someone will be sure to help if you ask.

https://groups.io/g/vikingsewingmachinespre1980

You have to join to get full access, but it's easy to do and free. There is a mine of information - user manuals, service manuals, service bulletins etc.. and some real experts who are happy to help.
Too many machines...