The Sewing Place

Another one bites the dust - Cloth Spot

Helen M

Another one bites the dust - Cloth Spot
« on: June 24, 2022, 10:04:33 AM »
Just received an email from Cloth Spot to say they are closing down.

The closing down sale is on with 40% of everything including haberdashery, remnants and patterns +50% off woolen fabrics  https://clothspot.co.uk/

Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Gernella

Re: Another one bites the dust - Cloth Spot
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 10:14:19 AM »
 :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 10:51:17 AM »
Always sad to hear of another business closure

:boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 14:00:44 PM »
I just don't get it, why are they all shutting down? There's been a huge surge in home sewing in the last few years so you'd have thought more would be opening especially with the SB appearing to be a popular view. I know there's the internet but for me there's nothing like going into a proper bricks and mortar shop, being able to touch, smell and see with your own eyes what your buying.

Ouryve

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 18:07:54 PM »
I suspect they're finding it harder and harder to cover their costs and if customers are feeling the pinch, they'll be less likely to make impulse purchases that will add to stash.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 18:27:21 PM »
Rates, rents, cost of fuel. That’s before you think of salaries.  It’s really difficult to run a small shop nowadays @Surest1tch

I’ve just read about a chain of patisserie/cafes that are all shutting down here.  The man who started them way back was a Swiss patissier  in a luxury hotel before moving to Fortnum and Mason here. 
But they just can’t make it work now. 

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 18:46:37 PM »
People are having difficulty affording the basics, no chance for splurging on luxuries and non essentials...  We all have enough clothes and household fripperies. Food, fuel and petrol / diesel will be the priorities
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Helen M

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 19:30:26 PM »
I just don't get it, why are they all shutting down? There's been a huge surge in home sewing in the last few years so you'd have thought more would be opening especially with the SB appearing to be a popular view. I know there's the internet but for me there's nothing like going into a proper bricks and mortar shop, being able to touch, smell and see with your own eyes what your buying.

@Surest1tch From what I understand it's not a 'shop' but online only run from a farm type situation and they say Brexit and Covid have really hit them. Many fabrics come from the EU and I'm guessing there are difficulties of importing etc that will add to their costs. I've noticed a couple of French 'shops' that I used to look at on Instagram have closed so it's not just the UK. Still a shame though.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2022, 10:34:29 AM »
Probably because they were a small but select outfit, didn't have a too much.  I half expected it as usually at the start of the year they have some really nice fabrics coming in for the summer and suddenly they were still 'winter' ones and in the colours I'm not keen on.  I was going for the Modal jersey again (lovely and soft and silky) when payday arrived for long sleeved later this year, so a real bonus to get a good discount.

I also liked the good descriptions they give on everything, including weight, and how to wash, which you can do  with lower stock. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included