The Sewing Place

McCall's "Spring" Patterns

classical retro

McCall's "Spring" Patterns
« on: June 24, 2022, 21:25:47 PM »
Their description, not mine, are here Or did I miss something?
Some interesting shapes, and styles

CR :angel:

Tamnymore

Re: McCall's "Spring" Patterns
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 22:13:53 PM »
I can see about 3 patterns I quite like - so better than Vogue's offering. Yes it does say spring. Wish they did the digital patterns in large page format and not just A4 format.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 22:37:20 PM »
I'd do myself a mischief in those flappy trousers. My left elbow reminds me why I haven't worn anything wide legged for about 15 years.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Kwaaked

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 06:17:52 AM »
I like the trousers, but since I have a belly they would look horrible on me.  They looked horrible on me when they were a thing in the late 90s and I was 110 lbs, for that matter.

8281 is a rehash of the 1980s dresses, just to as exaggerated and I already have a ton of these.

8285 is a camp shirt (which I have plenty of) and a tiered skirt (also got a few) but the whole thing was in a Burda mag 10 years ago...which I have.  And Burda did it better.

8286 is the waist wrap shirt dress...and technically I should like it.  It would be good for work (semi casual dressy) but there is something off with it.  I hate that hem...I don't know what it is.  I like it but don't at the same time.

8298 Grunge and accessories...UGH.  I wore this all of 1992 AND 2010 just not together.  Except I hate holes in my clothes, so I fixed the ratty old sweat shirt...as you do.  I also thought my grandfather had terrible taste in shirts, so I would never have worn his shirt as a skirt...I preferred the beefier, manly plaids not the middle class banker dress shirts.  I still have my actual Army bag from the Korean war with the big star on it I got at surplus in 1992, so no need to remake it even if I wanted to carry it again, and I can find real fingerless gloves to work in just fine...I need them for warmth not looks.  (This pattern annoyed the hell out of me, can you tell?)

The only one I would buy is the vampire costume 8303.  Little less dramatic slit, but I always need new dressing gowns which is what I would wear it for, and not dragging the floor.

Some of them I don't get needing a pattern for like 8297.  I never thought of a bag to drag my canning jars for protection, but it makes sense.  I don't think I need a pattern for it though.

Not a bad collection...I just am being salty.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 07:06:12 AM »
Love that Shirtdress (8204).  Might have to see if they have it in the fabric shop later...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 09:53:30 AM »
Unfortunately the new pattern releases take ages to get across the pond so urgent needs probably need to be met by a digital download and lots of printer paper and sellotape! (But wait for a sale).
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Kwaaked

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 10:33:47 AM »
Unfortunately the new pattern releases take ages to get across the pond so urgent needs probably need to be met by a digital download and lots of printer paper and sellotape! (But wait for a sale).

Not that great in stores where I am either.  Largely depends on when JoAnn gets them on the shelf, unless you buy from the website.  Local JoAnns just has last release pattern books out..and mostly don't even have those patterns for sale anyway.  Hobby Lobby is a bit better...they at least sometimes have the patterns that match the books, but they aren't on sale often. 

Adey1981

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2022, 11:58:16 AM »
M8303 gets my vote  :faints:

Ouryve

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2022, 23:34:13 PM »
Not salty, @Kwaaked  as it is a rather try hard collection.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

sewmuchmore

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 18:22:21 PM »
Quite like 8286, wonder if it could be adapted to tie at the front without going around the waist. What waist?  :laughing: I seem to recall i may have had one in the very dim and distant past.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet