The Sewing Place

Spencer Ogg Weekender bag

Ellabella

Spencer Ogg Weekender bag
« on: June 27, 2022, 21:00:47 PM »
My next project is
https://www.spencerogg.com/product/escape-pod/

Using  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

It’s really impractical using white fabric for a travel bag but DD and I are off to Vegas later this year for my 70th and I think Vegas needs something less than subtle.

I plan to use Odicoat to help keep things protected, I’ve never tried it but we shall see how things go.

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Spencer Ogg Weekender bag
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 21:37:58 PM »
Look forward to seeing this, it's a pattern I've thought about doing.

realale

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 22:24:24 PM »
 I like the look of that pattern but realistically I'll never make it so I'll admire your make instead. The fabric is interesting as well.  :thumb:
So many beers, so little time.

Kitten

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 14:20:14 PM »
I used Odicoat on the washbags I made last year and it worked well.  I also lined them with PUL so waterproof inside too.
I put the fabric on tinfoil before coating so I could move it while drying and so it didn't seep through to the table.
Looking forward to seeing your finished bag.

Puzzler

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 05:41:34 AM »
What a great pattern and fabric. I shall be watching with interest. There is nothing subtle about Las Vegas and nothing would be too outlandish or flamboyant. You’ll have a great time.

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 10:01:03 AM »
I’ve got all the lining pieces cut and fused and will sort out the outer pieces tonight. It never ceases to amaze me how much fabric there is in a bag.

I intend to cut and fuse oversize pieces for the outer, then use two coats of Odicoat and then cut to size when everything is properly dry. There may be a little shrinkage apparently.

At least I can start sewing the inner before I finish cutting the outside.

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 22:40:40 PM »
Lots of things have got in the way of sewing this week :headbang: :rant:

But tonight I sewed the front lining with the big zipped pocket and the bellows phone pocket. It’s not going to be a quick sew but breaking it down into stages is the way to go.

Off for a G&T and last Fridays Gardeners World :thumb:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

It looks a little wonky because there are clips holding the pocket together. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

Ellabella

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 17:30:17 PM »
Now comes the scary part, putting it all together.

I have assembled the back, the front, both linings and the gusset, now I have to stitch it all together  :scream: