The Sewing Place

Help please! Shortening prom dress

Lachica

Help please! Shortening prom dress
« on: June 28, 2022, 15:17:56 PM »
Polyester/Lycra fishtail dress. Ruched across tummy from LHS. Step grandaughter wants the fishtail cut off. I've marked it & am about to cut...... because it's double layered (self lined) I was hoping to undo a bit of seam inside then overlock from the inside. However, I've just looked properly and the panels are made of double layers but stitched all the way along the seams so that wont work. What would the pros do @Sandra ? Anyone? Should I just cut then turn each layer & stitch together? Can I get away with machining or will I have to hand stitch?   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Suggestions welcome!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Sandra

Re: Help please! Shortening prom dress
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 16:45:38 PM »
Erm... 'panels made of double layers but stitched all the way along the seams'...not sure exactly what you mean @Lachica

My initial thought was it's a bagged in lining and you find your way in through (usually) the seam on the centre back lining. It's usually noticeable where they machine stitch the seam opening back together.
Pull the dress through and stitch it on the inside.

I wouldn't enjoy the prospect of having to hand stitch it  :S

Sandra.
xxx

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 17:29:34 PM »
Thanks @Sandra. I realise I didn't explain the construction well. I can't find any evidence of bagging out but I agree that's how it's been done. There's an under bust seam with the overlocking showing on the inside, so that must be the seam to use? Not being a pro, and having never done one before, I'm apprehensive about opening this seam. The bust fits very well, it's an asymmetric one-shoulder design with a lot of ruching on very stretchy fabric. Like you, I don't fancy hand stitching. I've now cut off the excess and can see that the front has been stitched, turned then attached inside the s/a of the side seams so if I try turning it inside out I'll only have access to the back, if that makes sense? I'm thinking it will take a lot of careful pinning & tacking then I can machine it. I've tried a sample, to my surprise it's stitched well and doesn't snap when the fabric is stretched.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Step grandaughter is going to buy matching thread tomorrow.
Mary

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 17:33:53 PM »
@Lachica  Can you just make your own way in through the centre back seam on the lining? I don't think I'd bother to open the seam under the bust if I didn't have to.

Sandra.
xxx

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 17:43:12 PM »
Ah, yes, perhaps I should try that. I'd still only be able to get at the back panel though. I've pinned up one side of the front, as far as the side seam which I'll now have to unpick. It has a rather ugly (IMHO) high split on one leg but GD likes that part so I'll keep my trap shut!
Mary

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 18:05:48 PM »
Wish me luck - I'm going in!  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Mary

maliw

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 19:37:42 PM »
Good luck, rather you than me, I do not like alterations, I'd rather make from scratch.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 20:44:22 PM »
I have my fingers crossed!   :o
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lachica

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 21:08:29 PM »
I agree @maliw. Step GD rarely asks for anything, in fact getting her a present is difficult as she always says there's nothing she wants. This is not because she's in a rich family, her mum & stepdad are often quite nasty to her but her dad & my daughter have her half the time & with their influence and that of his parents she's grown into a hard working, level headed young lady. This is why I said yes when asked.

Anyhow, I've opened the middle of the back seam, inside, and the hem is pinned ready for overlocking as soon as she brings me the thread. I'll improvise at the side seams, probably by overlocking the outside layer & finishing the lining by hand.
Mary

Sandra

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2022, 07:55:46 AM »
It sounds like you've made good progress.  :thumb:

Annoying about having to stop at the side seams. I'm not sure I've encountered that before. It's usually fairly simple to stitch all in one go.
Yes, improvise.  :thumb:

Sandra.
xxx

Lachica

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2022, 18:38:21 PM »
I DON'T BELIEVE IT  :angry: :angry: I've done the hem, and the front hems by undoing side seams & pulling them through the gaps. I've stitched up the centre back seam very neatly and turned the dress right side out to steam it. I'VE UNDONE THE OUTSIDE CB SEAM 😱 I was going to take it back tonight and bask in the grateful thanks. Now I'll have to undo my stitching, undo the lining CB seam to pull the right side through & overlock it.
Mary

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2022, 19:20:27 PM »
Oh no! :boohoo:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2022, 19:38:41 PM »
Ive clicked 'Like' but that's not the appropriate word!

It sounds like a nightmare alteration.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lachica

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2022, 19:53:04 PM »
Well I undid the outer seam & a small part of the inside seam. Having eaten, I now have an hour until GBSB so I'm going back in.
Mary

Cazlyn

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2022, 20:37:25 PM »
Good luck, it sounds like a nightmare.
Crafting is my happy place