The Sewing Place

Sometimes my love of indie patterns meets its limits

Ouryve

Sometimes my love of indie patterns meets its limits
« on: June 28, 2022, 23:26:01 PM »
How to do fashion has landed in The Foldline and I feel like they're taking the proverbial. In this one, there are fit issues in both samples and the orange fabric is hideous. As for the styling... I want to tell "for goodness sake, mum!". It's so Ab Fab.
https://thefoldline.com/product/how-to-do-fashion-no-25-penhouet-dress-and-top/

Now they do have some lovely dresses in their catalogue but, trousers that have lots of little buttons at the back... Why? https://thefoldline.com/product/no-19-chicago-trousers/[/size]
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 10:25:11 AM by Ouryve »
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Puzzler

Re: Sometimes my love of indie patterns meets its limits
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 05:16:20 AM »
I do not like the dress. The trousers…well, I would call them culottes…look nice as a line drawing. However, I don’t think a covered button backside is particularly practical.

Kwaaked

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 06:00:26 AM »
I don't mind the dress, but it is really off and the fabric is horrible.  It is what I would compare to long john underwear here.  Something about that belt finishing ruins it for me.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 10:13:58 AM »
My coccyx screamed in fear of those shorts and the buttons at the back  :o
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ouryve

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 10:26:08 AM »
The buttons do look so uncomfortable and impractical if you need the loo!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 10:39:06 AM »
I often wonder what the models think of the garments they have to show off @Ouryve .  Those two I would move on straight away. I hate anything that dribbles down the side as well, I'm not very fashionable :rolleyes: or uneven hems.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 10:41:13 AM »
They just look a mess and the quality of the photography doesn't help. Not much incentive for people to buy the patterns.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2022, 10:49:07 AM »
A definite thumbs down from me.  The first is just unflattering, and the second, well, those buttons...  :rolleyes:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

realale

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 11:08:56 AM »
Did they miss the word 'not' out of their name?  :P
So many beers, so little time.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2022, 11:51:36 AM »
When someone mentions poor fit I just have to go and look.  :)
Darts are clearly in the wrong place. 
And buttons on the back of trousers?   Who thought that was a good idea?   I’m not sure there’s any benefit to bias cut trousers either.  I think they look a bit weird. 

Ouryve

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2022, 12:19:41 PM »
It was the gapey white top that drew my attention to the odd trousers in the first place - emphasised by the model standing with her bum sticking out.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2022, 12:25:44 PM »
TBH @Ouryve i thought it was underwear! :laughing:

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2022, 12:37:10 PM »
Yuk!  That white playsuit is ghastly.  I dislike all-in-ones on women - too much faff to go to the loo and don't get me started on the trauma that is using a public convenience!.  Back fastening trousers were a thing at one time, but what's wrong with a concealed zip?

Cazlyn

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2022, 17:59:57 PM »
Eek! That dress!  :x
Crafting is my happy place