The Sewing Place

Wearing Coloured bottoms like trousers/shorts/culottes - in particular pink

Celia

Re: Coloured bottoms - in particular pink
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2022, 09:37:26 AM »
You have now got me thinking, the blue material I just made in trousers comes in pink ???? I wore the blue ones yesterday and am pleased with them, they are a bit big on the waist but I have just lost a couple of kilos so that’s ok. I make them in such a way I can still tighten the elastic  :loveit:  Or let it out :(

Go in @SewRuthieSews go for it

SewRuthieSews

Thanks for the offer @Diane but I already have a giant stash carefully collated collection of lightside fabric in tubs in the garage so am trying not to buy new fabric!

In there I have something which is a blend which could work for normal trousers and also some stretchy distressed darker pink which could be some jeans.

Thanks everyone for all the comments. I generally wear trousers in neutral shades, often black, navy and dark brown but also greygreen, khaki, stone. I also have some patterned ones but only wear those in the summer - navy base with florals and some others which are cream and brown abstract tribal type design.

I don't think I'd wear pale pink or blush coloured trousers, but something a little darker/stronger/brighter might work.

Diane

I agree, pale pink for me is a bit of a no no, the pink I have is much stronger in colour.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Kad

I think that when wearing lighter coloured trousers it's best not to wear a very dark coloured top with them - too much contrast seems to confuse the eyes into not registering the paler items. I wear white and palest pink trousers all summer but always with a top that's not bright or dark but just a little bit stronger coloured.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Ohsewsimple

I generally wear black or navy.  For some reason I don’t always feel comfortable in coloured trousers! 
But I did make a pair of purple/aubergine stretch cotton twill    They’re  Lady McElroy fabric and I can’t find any more.  It was pricey but soooooo comfy. 

Kwaaked

I don't wear a lot of pink, although I do have lemon yellow, turquoise and srping green chinos.  All are a bit more saturated in color.

I wear them with denim and chambray blouses.  Embroidered ones (my favorite shirt has ducks on it), plain, ruffled, spotted with matching colors (yellow pair has a striped chambray shirt with yellow heart and ruffles, so go figure?), Navy tops.  Funny, I am not much of a fan of colored pants or chambray and I wear a lot of both.  They are office clothes, and I wear them working often.

Nevis5

@Ohsewsimple  I've just made a couple of pairs of Merchant & Mills Eve trousers from Mind the Maker stretch cotton twill fabric.  It's gorgeous fabric, really smooth and easy to sew.  I'm so pleased with it and although it's expensive I know they will last forever.  I got it from Minerva Fabrics, and am just waiting for some of their Core Range stretch cotton twill for a third pair to see the difference in quality.  They have loads of colours - not my favourite shop of choice but sometimes it's the only option.  HTH. x

Ohsewsimple

@Nevis5 thanks for the info.  I didn’t realise they made stretch twill too.  About the same price I paid for LM.  I’ve got a sample of the Minerva one in taupe.  Looks more grey to me.  It’s quite nice fabric, not too thick.  I was after something warm at the time and the one I got was warm to the touch. 
But Minerva's is a good price. 

Nevis5

@Ohsewsimple  you're welcome.  I think Minerva have started to produce quite a lot of exclusive fabrics.  This is the first I've tried - hoping the postman brings it today.  Interesting that the taupe colour is almost grey - I ordered dark sand but I know that sometimes their colours are slightly different on my monitor.  In the spirit of this thread - the previous twill I'd got is a gorgeous ocean blue colour ;)

Bumblebuncher

I love pink, it doesn't love my skin tone.  I wear pink trousers with a black top so I get to wear pink  :laughing:
What I don't like is Denim blue jeans, I know I am weird like that, I look down and they just look wrong!  Jeans are every shade except blue!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

BrendaP

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2022, 14:40:33 PM »
As to pink in your nether regions please be careful of the shade - I was watching a YouTube recording of a church service and was shocked to see one of the women there wearing a tunic top and nothing else...... of course, she had pink leggings on but unless you looked carefully it was a bit arresting!!  :scream: It wasn't even flesh coloured pink!!  :P

It's the same with flesh coloured tops!  I recently saw a woman walking down the street and had to do a double take as I initially thought she was topless!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kwaaked

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2022, 19:32:03 PM »
It's the same with flesh coloured tops!  I recently saw a woman walking down the street and had to do a double take as I initially thought she was topless!

Haha, I am beige.  I just don't stick out at all in coloring.  A stylist wanted to put me all in similar shades of tan, beige and khaki...I was like, you realize this is just skin from a distance with me, yes?

Ouryve

I saw a teenage girl wearing beige leggings and crop top, the other day  :scream:

About 75% of my wardrobe is blue or blue toned greens and purpled. The rest is black, pink (not fleshy) and red with the odd bit of white appearing as my hair lightens.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

SewRuthieSews

Had a trip out to the boxes in the garage today and brought back the pink fabric I was thinking about.
I have 3.6m of it and its nowhere close to skintone (more like a pale red) so reckon it'd be alright for trousers, and maybe a 'shacket' as well - a horrible word IMO but means a shirt style jacket, or shirt worn as a jacket.
Not sure I'd wear them together, but both could be useful pieces.

Catllar

I love coloured pants - have 3 pairs of red- different fabrics and different lengths. I wear them with black or white. I avoid blue or navy to avoid looking like a flag.  I have a pair of red with small white spots that are loose and elastic ankled - wear with white or the matching top. I've got mint green pants  that go well with navy, a raspberry pink pair - almost anything goes with them. Basic colours are fine in the winter but cut loose a bit in the summer it's then or never!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !