The Sewing Place

Tell me about duckbill scissors

Bodgeitandscarper

Tell me about duckbill scissors
« on: July 01, 2022, 09:31:53 AM »
I keep wondering if I need some for trimming off fabric/leather/vinyl when machine embroidering.

I can't really understand what they do, so I've just looked at two youtube thingies, and in one they have the big blade over the fabric that's being kept, and in the other they have the big blade over the fabric that's being cut off.  Confused?  Very!!

I've looked at them and I think from the pics, there are some that have the big blade bent up 90°  and some are flat - is that right?  And why??

Signed, Confused from Lincolnshire  :S

Kwaaked

Re: Tell me about duckbill scissors
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 09:57:13 AM »
I'm left handed, and have a hard time finding them, so how I use them will be of no use to a right handed person because they are one of the few things you have to have for your dominant hand (and as a lefty, I don't use them the same way because, well, I'm extra).

https://www.ageberry.com/duckbill-scissors/ might help.

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 10:13:56 AM »
I like them for if I have too much excess fabric on the back after coverstitching a hem, although I try to use as little as possible because if you get too cocky, you get a hole, which has happened to me a couple of times.  Can be lethal little beggars.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 10:16:35 AM »
Useful for specific purposes, but by the time I've remembered I've got them, the job is done... :rolleyes:  Not a great deal of help I know...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 10:38:51 AM »
Mine are made by Klasse - these I think.   It's hard to tell from the photo but they definitely have the bent handles like these which means that the blades lie flat against the fabric whilst allowing room for your fingers.

Mine are lovely and sharp and will trim fabric like aknife going through butter but I never use them for anything other than fabric.  I use them mostly for trimming excess fabric after coverstitching, although as Gernella says leave a mm or so between the stitching and the cut, she's right if you get too cocky you will end up with a hole.  They would be good for trimming around a machine embroidered motif too.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Starryfish

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 12:42:31 PM »
I use mine for trimming twin hems on jersey fabrics. You do have to be careful as the others say, but they are useful.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

realale

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 12:59:20 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper I've two large pairs and a smaller one that I use for my ITH embroidery and since using them I wouldn't be without them. They are really useful for getting up close to the stitching and trimming the excess fabric. The big ones have the bent handle thing but the small ones just look like embroidery scissors with a small lip on the one blade. They are invaluable for ITH embroidery and I would recommend them.
To see them in use with ITH embroideries have a look at the videos on KreativeKiwi. There are loads showing how to do the embroideries and the presenter shows herself using them - it was after seeing her use them that I got another pair forgetting I'd already got some!! I've since used them in my dressmaking as well but not as often, however they are useful for safe trimming.
So many beers, so little time.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 16:55:12 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper ive got some Ghinger duck bill scissors.   I used to use them for trimming appliqué when doing machine embroidery pictures.  Also for trimming after coverstitching.  However I found they could be a problem.  I now use a pair of these
https://j-shop.co.uk/collections/scissors/products/4-inch-softn-sharp-professional-embroidery-fine-pointed-curved

I can get closer with these and don’t get the problems I had with the duck billed ones.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 17:46:00 PM »
@Ohsewsimple In what way were they a problem?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2022, 18:44:24 PM »
I’ve cut into fabric I didn’t want to! :rolleyes:  I find it less of a problem with the smaller ones.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2022, 19:00:06 PM »
I'm currently using my curved embroidery scissors, I'm not sure I can see the advantage of the duckbills, I feel they may even get in the way a bit.