The Sewing Place

Side seam pocket with an invisible zip

SewRuthieSews

Side seam pocket with an invisible zip
« on: July 01, 2022, 10:48:18 AM »
I'm reworking some too small trousers, and would like to add a side seam pocket that closes with an invisible zip.
I like this sort of pocket in RTW and want it in my self sewn clothes too.

As far as I can tell the zipper tape will need to be in the seam when the pocket bag pieces get sewn to the side seam and then the pocket will get sewn up afterwards, but if anyone has a diagram/instructions, tips for this I'd really appreciate it.

Starryfish

Re: Side seam pocket with an invisible zip
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 12:40:12 PM »
I would like to know how to do it too. I have Style Arc Natasha which closes with a side zip and would love to have pockets. i love the fit but pockets are so handy especially with allergies like mine.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 14:59:57 PM »
@SewRuthieSews , I did answer this, but put it in the wrong place - and I didn't edit the link (so it's rather long).

It looks a lovely finish.

Jessie

eta I put it in your darkside diary... :embarrassed:
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 16:54:30 PM »
Hiya Jessie @b15erk , thanks for trying to help me,  I think this is atcually answering @Starryfish's question, which is when a garment closes with an invisible zipper, also having a side pocket.

Invisible zip in side seam + pocket

What I want to do is have a pocket which is closed by an invisible zipper.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 17:07:46 PM »
Ah managed to find one which shows how to have the zip in the pocket.

Invisible zipper pocket

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 17:19:34 PM »
Like all these things it’s logical really.  Why do we complicate things by overthinking it?    :laughing:
I’d be going through all my books to check something that I probably know but just to check.  :rolleyes:

Starryfish

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 17:43:22 PM »
Thank you for the link, it's simple when you know how! Also, they did something I had never thought of, which was to sew in the zip with a normal stitch foot, then change to an invisible zip foot and sew it again. How easy to get the zip correctly aligned that way!
Will definitely try that out, it has to be better than unpicking the second side several times as is my usual wont.
My next task will be to add an internal tab to the waistband so I don't catch my flesh when zipping up. I do that many times.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 17:46:38 PM by Starryfish »
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 10:44:11 AM »
I've never used an ordinary zip (other than the heavy duty ones) since I discovered how to put an invisible zip in.  I actually found my original crib sheet from the Husqvarna website the other day.  They look so  much better than the ordinary zips.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 14:04:55 PM »
I've cut out some navy cotton trousers and will be trying a hidden side pocket in the right hand side using this method.

Hidden Side pocket

I'll let you know how I get on!

Diane

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 14:22:54 PM »
@SewRuthieSews I've just watched that video, what a lovely pocket  :P i've added that to my saved videos.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2022, 22:46:34 PM »
My machine doesn't have the same narrow zipper foot as she does so worked a little differently, but doing one I've learned the principle.
It basically boils down to this:-

1. Insert an invisible zipper into the side seam at the location where you want the pocket opening.
2. Stitch each of the pocket bags to the zipper tape (one each side).
3. Stitch round the edges of the pocket bag.

I'll probably revisit invisible zipper insertion with my machine for a neater version next time, but it has worked.

realale

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2022, 08:07:14 AM »
 I watched the video you gave the link for and came to the same conclusion as you. I'm not sure I'll ever use it but never say never.  :)
So many beers, so little time.

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2022, 10:33:17 AM »
Great video @SewRuthieSews , but like @realale , I can't see that I'll ever use it.  I avoid pockets usually - although I love them, but in dresses I find that if you put anything in them, it spoils the look, and in trousers, if I put on a pound or two, they stretch out... :rolleyes:

Would love to see how yours look.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2022, 10:57:56 AM »
I like walking trousers like Craghoppers which have lots of pockets including zippy ones. These days I find the actual Craghoppers don't fit me well, so I trying to add the features I do like into my self sewn pieces.

On holiday in particular a nice zipped pocket is super handy for important stuff like key, money, passport etc.

I really like pockets, particularly in trousers, and find if they are supported by the waistband and the bottom of the pocket sits to the front in the leg bend area, then its not adding too much fullness as its in the space between my full tummy and my full upper front thigh.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2022, 17:06:33 PM »
Righto, here they are
outsides with pockets zipped up

Outsides with pockets open (pretty floral cotton scrap from AuntieJ

And inside showing the double pockets

I tried to use the method on the video for the first pocket, then switched to how I think I would do it for the second pocket. As you can imagine it was a load of faffing about and made trickier with double pockets and super dark navy fabric which absorbed all the light.
The zips are recycled from my old jeans upsizing projects, as it was a bit of an experiment.