The Sewing Place

Christmas Craft 2022

datcat23

Christmas Craft 2022
« on: July 02, 2022, 13:07:03 PM »
 :dance:   Yep, its that time again, time for Datty to give you peeps the heebeejeebies ..... and mention ....... the "C" word.   :devil:

My aim in life, is to help you all avoid that envitable spiral of doom, that can be xmas sewing.

So start your planning, and don't be afraid to share any links or tutes you have found.  Lets get started!!!

So, I have a very small group to sew for this year, my new job just means that I no longer have to sew for an excessive number of people.

1:  4 X machine embroidered xmas tree baubles (there will also be fudge and peppermint slices) - work peeps
2:  6 x lined shopping bags - sewing group peeps
3.  8 hemmed linen napkins and 3d printed napkin rings - very good family friends
4.  things not yet planned for nephews and niece
5.  things not yet planned for MIL
6.  things not yet planned for hubby and children.
7.  Quite likely hubby will ask me to make something for his work peeps, at the last minute.

Anyways ..... join in, and plan away.  Get strarted, so that xmas can be enjoyable.
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Diane

Re: Christmas Craft 2022
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 13:21:00 PM »
I'll give this a miss, i'm not a fan of christmas, i don't have people to sew for and we are only just in to July and i'm still sewing summer tops  :laughing:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 13:22:39 PM »
I'll follow this with interest Dani . Can't join in because none of my friends or family would thank you for anything " homemade ". You always make such interesting items  :thumb:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 13:36:55 PM »
I know I should.  I know that when it gets to mid November I will have many, many things that I want to make and nowhere near enough time.  I love Christmas.

But it's July... I just can't!   :laughing:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 14:09:17 PM »
I will finish the placemats I was making when I got Covid the first time.  They only need quilting and binding so I might be able to do that in the next six months.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 15:56:40 PM »
Only some people on my list would welcome anything 'homemade' and it feels a bit early for me too tbh, maybe once we get to September....

Celia

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 16:09:16 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaassaa  running away quickly……you and I are definitely alike @Diane

Bjay

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 17:05:10 PM »
Looking at the ridiculously cheap  fabric -£5 a metere - in a local shop friend and I mentioned the C word.

I plan to buy and make some bags. I have never made a bag and don't know where to start. All help appreciated - I saw a Mccalls pattern - may try that
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 17:15:57 PM by Bjay »
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Diane

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 17:36:49 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaassaa  running away quickly……you and I are definitely alike @Diane
@Celia I think we are, I'm just not keen on Christmas, it reminds me so much of my dad because he loved it and it's just not the same without him. DH battles with me to get the tree up in time, it goes up at the last minute and comes back down at the earliest possible opportunity. But i'm sure many love it and will enjoy the challenge that @datcat23 has set
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Kwaaked

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 07:35:14 AM »
I have to get my Halloween costumes done before I worry about this.  Hubs wants Sleepy Hollow, I'm like maybe.  I have to finish my aging and rotting cloth class. 

Christmas...
1.  I have to figure out what I am doing for the parade.  We won last year with the dressform Christmas tree and a Farm all Tractor.  Not much of an accomplishment...we were the only non-Church, non-truck, non-horse, non-four wheeler and non-emergency vehicle in the bunch (although the 3 year old who oohed and awed at the Princess tree was amazing).  And well, make costumes for that.  I have absolutely no clue what the heck I am going to even do as a theme much less plan for it.

2.  Make DD's Christmas jammies for the school thing they do.  Since the school doesn't tell us until the day before, I usually make one up sometime during my slow period in November and miraculously pull them out.

That's about it.  I've got in laws who wouldn't appreciate it if I did it, and I don't even put my name on the presents I have to buy for them.  My mother in law might, but we get her a gift card for groceries, which is needed more.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 09:14:35 AM »
Good god, C******** in July?  No thank you!!!

I may pop back to this thread sometime around about the beginning of December, that's early enough for me.

Lachica

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2022, 09:21:20 AM »
I'll start in September... maybe.......more likely December panic!!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Helen M

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2022, 10:08:36 AM »
Actually I might just get started with this!

I don't usually gift anything to friends but I want to make a Christmas oven glove. In fact I have a feeling that I cut out the main pieces a few years ago then forgot about them so maybe it's time. I need a new regular oven glove so perhaps this will get me motivated. So thanks @datcat23!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

datcat23

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2022, 10:33:08 AM »
Actually I might just get started with this!

I don't usually gift anything to friends but I want to make a Christmas oven glove.

What a fantastic idea @Helen M .  Just because its xmas, doesn't mean gift sewing has to be for others! I think its great if you can sew for yourself.   Also consider if you want to sew for charity, perhaps gifts to a local nursing home, or other charitable group?  All types of giving are great!
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Celia

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2022, 11:39:42 AM »
Ok I have to admit I have started knitting cashmere scarf for my lovely friend I used to work with  who  at the moment has Covid.

I don’t really like Christmas it has not been good for me for quite a while but these days  I do love to see other people enjoying it.

I like the idea of making things for other people.