The Sewing Place

how to cut something from 50cm fabric?

SewRuthieSews

how to cut something from 50cm fabric?
« on: July 04, 2022, 08:09:54 AM »
I've cut out my latest cotton lawn shirt. For this one I had two pieces of the same fabric from the remnant bin (though not really remnants are they if they cut the fabric into pieces?), anyway each of these was about 1.15cm long, so I cut the front and back and collar stand from one, and the sleeves, collar and cuffs from the other leaving the biggest chunks I could.
I've now got a piece 50cm long and another 40cm long. I can't turn them sideways due to the print and a fine silvery thread running through. I've been thinking abut my options.

- woven t shirt with a yoke and short sleeves
- combine with another fabric, possibly a knit?

Ideas?

Lachica

Re: how to cut something from 50cm fabric?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 08:39:45 AM »
A sleeveless tank with the yoke made from knit, if they're wide enough. Or use both to make either a front or a back, with centre seam, and knit for the other side & sleeves if wanted. Add a strip of the fabric to centre line of sleeves to tie it in.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 09:10:02 AM »
Make the top half to come just below the bust, then a gathered "skirt/peplum" for the rest of the length.  Could be done with a jersey top half too.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 10:02:21 AM »
How wide is the fabric?

I would definitely combine with another fabric, but if you choose a fine knit I would use that for the main body pieces with the lawn for hte sleeves, collar, trims etc.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 10:21:58 AM »
Thanks for all the ideas.

I forgot to mention that the sections are full width of fabric- 145cm.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 11:21:55 AM »
A search in the stash boxes has produced two knit fabrics, one in a soft burgundy colour, and the other in a dark navy (darker than the recent knit tops).
My lack of sleep is now catching up with me and inspiration isn't currently striking.

I'll keep you posted on what (if anything) I manage to do!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 11:55:55 AM »
I’d do a top with a yoke and short sleeves if there’s enough.  But then I’m short so don’t need a lot of length  :)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2022, 15:47:35 PM »
Currently looking at NewLook 6225, though I'd have to introduce a seam across the body, think I'd better make up the shirt I've already cut out first and see how I'm feeling about it after that.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2022, 18:32:48 PM »
Hoping that the tee shirt top from Vogue 9246 might be a winner

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 16:04:33 PM »

I used size L flared out a bit at the hipline. I was able to cut the front yoke and body on the fold as per the pattern, though by shortening the sleeves by an inch.

I raised the back neckline by about half an inch and narrowed the front neckline slightly.

To cut the back out I had to include a centre back seam in both the yoke and body, and move the yoke seam down a bit.

I also had some curved scraps left which I was able to use to extend the sleeve length a little bit.

I made 1/2" wide self fabric bias binding and used this to do a bias facing to the neckline.

So a nice cool top out of the scraps.

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 16:39:35 PM »
Lovely top and v impressive making!   :thumb:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2022, 16:51:35 PM »
Thanks, as you can imagine I don't have much left now, just a couple of triangles left over from making the bias binding, they've gone in the quilt stash though they are a bit lightweight really.

realale

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 19:24:51 PM »
That was creative of you. It looks a very nice top and a good use of the remnants.
So many beers, so little time.

Nevis5

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2022, 08:02:52 AM »
That's brilliant, @SewRuthieSews  ! You are so creative, I'm sure that scrap fabric would have been abandoned and neglected in my sewing room.  I really ought to get my brain working and use some of them up.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2022, 10:40:59 AM »
I think I enjoy the challenge of getting the garment out of the funny shaped/slightly too small pieces of fabric.
I normally only do it with my TNTs