The Sewing Place

Designer Details - reinforced back vent on skirt - leather triangle?

SewRuthieSews

I have a vague memory, either on a skirt I saw or something in a book of a back vent on a skirt being reinforced with a small piece of leather, I think a triangle but I'm not sure which way up.
Anyone encountered this and know what it was like?

I've added flanges onto the bottom of my current pair of trousers and made them with side splits, but as they were added afterwards its not super neat. I thought I might sew little leather tabs at the top of the splits but was wondering the best shape.

Bumblebuncher

Re: Designer Details - reinforced back vent on skirt - leather triangle?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 11:25:08 AM »
I remember having pencil skirts with a slit up the back and the slit would split and get longer and longer  :o
Then I was shown the reinforcement of either a piece of leather or fabric and the slit didn't split!  Magic  :D
It is literally a triangle of leather put at the end of the slit as far as I remember.  My days of pencil skirts are well over!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 11:28:58 AM »
@Bumblebuncher oh yes no pencil skirts for me either anymore.
what way up was the triangle - was the point pointing up and the base across the end of the split/vent/slit? (which is what I'm thinking) or was it point down?

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 11:33:17 AM »
I am sure it was point up!
I also seem to recall being told to just sew a triangle around the top of the seam as another reinforcement method.  Not sure if I am right there though.  So.... long... ago  :laughing:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

StitchinTime

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 11:33:46 AM »
When an arrowhead tack is used to reinforce an opening, the base of the arrow is nearest the opening.
https://patternscissorscloth.com/2012/03/08/tricks-of-the-trade-arrowhead-tacks/

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 11:43:50 AM »
Ah thank you @StitchinTime that looks like the 'proper' version for which the leather triangle is an alternative.

Off to look through my leather scraps, and/or the faux suede I've got somewhere in the garage.....

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 13:05:36 PM »
I remember stitching one of these, about 1981 I think. I bought buttonhole thread specially, and was very pleased with my neat work.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 13:06:08 PM »
If you want something quick to stop the splitting I remember being told to use the small bar from a hook and bar set.  Used to be hooks and eyes but you can’t seem to buy the straight bar ones anymore.  They all come with the rounded one.   :thinking:

realale

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 13:49:48 PM »
My machine sews those triangle things and I've used it somewhere but I can't remember where!!
Son was crouching in the long coat I made him and when he stood up he managed to stand on the hem and rip the top of the back vent - not my stitching but the fabric itself. If I remember rightly I cobbled a patch over it and put interfacing on the inside and it was never noticed so I think a pleasant leather triangle would be fine.
Pointing upwards has my vote!!  :P
So many beers, so little time.

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 22:39:24 PM »
Common sense tells me that the point of the triangle should be upward so that the flat side goes across the opening.

Another one here for whom the days of pencil skirts are long gone.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2022, 10:22:29 AM »
What about a bar tack, which is what I do, well the machine does it.  Never had one split yet on a skirt.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included