The Sewing Place

TSP's 2022 Bag Sew Along

BlueCat

Re: TSP's 2022 Bag Sew Along
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2022, 13:09:04 PM »
The Ethel Tote bag by Swoon (similar to Pheobe bag by Rebeka Lambert) and Miss Maggie’s Handbag by Emmaline Bags (both easy sews) are free patterns. The Sweet Pea saddle bag by Blue Calla is a small saddle bag and also free.

An inexpensive buy is The Bonnie bucket bag by Swoon (with tutorials) is a great bag; very adaptable with zip top or drawstring top, pockets,  (I have even used magnetic catch instead of zip), slouchy look with softer fabric or more structured with faux leathers or cork.

Celia

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2022, 21:56:48 PM »
Aren't patterns expensive :faints:  You could buy the leggings belt and beanie for that amount  :faints:

As I said I got the pattern at a bargain price, I paid £8 for it and by adding it to my order I saved £4.00 or so postage, I also wear leggings a lot and find it hard to get them in my length so wanted to try making them.

Having said that I agree patterns are expensive and that is why I usually reuse and adapt the ones I already have.

Sheilago

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2022, 18:40:12 PM »
I bought 5 m of water resistant fabric to make cushions for my sister’s garden chairs ( using old baby crib mattresses : they’re the perfect size to make long seat and back cushions  :D and people throw them away after each baby).
This photo shows the cushion making in progress.

I’m just thinking that offcuts from this would be perfect for my planned swimming kit bag. Now I just have to find a good pattern. I can even use the waterproof strip from the mattress covers for a watertight pocket for my wet swimsuit.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Silver Rose

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2022, 18:47:15 PM »
What a great idea  :thumb:
Still learning

Celia

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2022, 12:52:26 PM »
That sounds good, I have found one piece of fabric I would like to use, still looking for a pattern

b15erk

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2022, 10:08:12 AM »
I think I may be able to join in this sewalong!  I have a double pouch wrist bag, with a front pocket which I bought some years ago. Lately I'm finding it more difficult to use a hand/shoulder bag, so this bag has been used more and more.  However, it is looking a little shabby, and it won't last much longer.

So, last week, I copied the pattern, and did a toile, which turned out really well.  At this point I got really gung ho, and cut out two bags (when I found the fabric), but hit a stumbling block with zips.  I have loads of zips, but, sod's law, none which looked right... :rolleyes:

Eventually, this morning I think I have what I need, without breaking the bank. 

So, I'm ready to go if you don't mind company!

Jessiee
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Celia

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2022, 14:31:45 PM »
Brilliant @b15erk sounds like a really useful make

Sheilago

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2022, 22:02:25 PM »
Made a bit of progress with my bag ,as I can’t make the fourth cushion until I get another cradle mattress. I decided to make this tote bag using the left over water resistant fabric. I have just used all the same fabric, inside and out, but have given it contrasting blue handles. I found a small zipped mesh make up bag, which I will cheat with and will sew to the lining to hold all my small bits and pieces - keys, card, goggles etc and I’ll sew a waterproof pocket on the other side for my wet swimsuit.

https://sewcanshe.com/2016-6-10-the-picnic-tote-free-sewing-pattern/

My only problem has been the multiple layers that need to be sewn through, especially the bottom corners of the bag. It’s really at the limit of what my Janome can cope with. It was protesting a bit!

Here’s a photo of progress so far. Now that the outside is sewn , I’m actually wishing it was bigger as I usually take a towelling bath robe with me, which is bulky. It’ll just have to stick out the top a bit.

I did think about adding extra height with a border along the top, but I think that would be fiddly and I’ve already cut out the lining pieces. I’ll probably end up making another at some point!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 12:06:29 PM by Sheilago »

Sheilago

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2022, 15:42:46 PM »
Here is my swimming bag, all finished. As you can see it has an integral waterproof pocket to take a wet swimsuit. The only snag is it is not big enough! I read the pattern and when it said the bag was 18” wide, I just thought that would be fine. However since Covid, the club  no longer gives  out towels and I’ve been taking a towelling robe instead, which is very good, but bulky. Think I’ll be making a bigger one, but I’ll measure the folded robe this time!
The 4 cushions made from reused baby mattresses are all finished too!
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

b15erk

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2022, 09:53:16 AM »
My zips have arrived! :thumb:  So, I can proceed with my bag!  :thumb:

First though, I have to assemble the zips - 6 of them... :faints:  I think I've done it before, but I'll need Youtube to jog my memory...

The purple isn't a good match, but it will have to do, as it was the only one I could find.

See you later - with contstructed zips hopefully!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ellabella

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2022, 10:18:33 AM »
I’m about to start
https://www.spencerogg.com/product/the-double-clutch-crossbody-pdf-sewing-pattern/

I’m hoping to use an old leather coat of my daughters.  I had a root around last night and have suitable hardware in nickel, most harvested from other things and I do have some 5mm black zips but they will look very boring so a quick browse of Zipper Station produced black zips with silver teeth and some rather restrained but smart cylindrical silver zip pulls.

I hate to buy everything from scratch for a bag, I have to reuse something somewhere.

I’m hoping to start tonight but won’t get much done this week as we are having a big BBQ this weekend and gazebos need erecting.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2022, 12:03:52 PM »
It’s quite small @Ellabella.  If I was making it again I’d resize it a bit.  I don’t like large bags but I struggled to get the few bits in it I needed.

b15erk

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2022, 12:57:36 PM »
Six zips prepped - not easy when you are ham fisted.  Zip tabs pressed and ready to go on, and two wrist straps ready for the machine.

I'm taking it slowly, as I have no instructions, just a hastily assembled toile.  I think it may be hard on my hands, as both bags are faux suede.

Jessie

Ellabella

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2022, 13:49:06 PM »
It’s quite small @Ellabella.  If I was making it again I’d resize it a bit.  I don’t like large bags but I struggled to get the few bits in it I needed.

@Ohsewsimple, which version did you make?  I’m looking at the larger one, but I’ll check the measurements before I cut it out as too small is now good to me. I made a large Amplector and I’ve found that too small.  Otherwise I shall have to pattern browse tonight, didn’t want to have to buy another pattern, but needs must. :thinking: :thumb:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2022, 17:11:42 PM »
It’s the original one @Ellabella.  Didn’t know she’d done an add on.
These are a couple of piccies of mine.  I’ve added one that has the Spencer Ogg small accordion purse inside for reference.