The Sewing Place

TSP's 2022 Bag Sew Along

Sheilago

Re: TSP's 2022 Bag Sew Along
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2022, 18:26:51 PM »
Oh , your bags are so much more sophisticated than mine. I look forward to seeing them. :D

Ellabella

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2022, 19:06:08 PM »
A bag is a bag @Sheilago , make what you need.  BTW I loved that fabric you used for your swimming bag.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2022, 22:15:37 PM »
I agree with @Ellabella @Sheilago you make what you need and works for you.  I’ve made some really simple ones in the past.  I prefer a zip to just a magnetic snap after I had someone pinch my purse out of my bag in Italy.  I didn’t notice a thing! :scream:

b15erk

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2022, 08:58:41 AM »
Well, progress was made yesterday.  The fabric is hard to work with, and hurts my hands, it also makes for hard work for the sewing machine going through so many layers.  I had to unpick the strap last night, as the four folds would have made it impossible to get the machine through.  I'm using the Singer 611g as I don't think the Pfaff would cope.  I may have been better getting the 66k out, but that's a bit of a faff.

I'm really pleased with how this is looking, and I've even managed to put a magnetic snap between the two main bags - even the 'bought' bag hasn't got one of those!  I  forgot the bag loop though, and that meant a fair bit of unpicking... :rolleyes:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2022, 12:38:30 PM »
Almost finished, and just getting ready to sew up the gap in the lining, and I thought I would try the wrist strap.  As I went to hool it on, I noticed that the stitching had come apart...

Now I have to figure out the easiest way to get access to it - without taking the whole thing apart!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2022, 14:19:37 PM »
Well, after all the shenanigans, it's done.  A couple of errors though, I forgot to topstitch the zip on the second bag, I can live with it, just need to make sure the zip doesn't snag.  Then the strap holder had come away.  What a tussle!  And I couldn't  stitch it at all, so I put a rivet through it - but, I've just realised I've put it in on the wrong side... :rolleyes:

I've learned a lot with this construction, and a lot of the problems I had were caused by bulk.  So, I need to figure that out on the next one.  I love the magnetic snap in the middle pocket - it makes it more useful.

On to number 2 now...

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2022, 17:34:14 PM »
That’s very nice @b15erk.  I love the colour and the funky zips.  I hadn’t realised it was joined that way.  So yes, you’re magnetic clip makes it work better

Diane

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2022, 18:29:50 PM »
@b15erk I love that purple suede  :loveit: You always make a lovely job of making bags
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Sheilago

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2022, 18:36:28 PM »
They are fabulous @b15erk . So professional looking. I especially like the purple one!

b15erk

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2022, 07:48:03 AM »
@Sheilago , only the purple one is made by me, so I'm delighted you like it!  The gold one, is the one I used as a pattern.  I bought it some years ago, and it is looking shabby, so I have tried to copy it.  The purple faux suede fabric came with a bag of furnishing fabric which a friend of DD had given me.

Next up is another faux suede, but this one isn't so soft, and may be harder on my hands.

Jessie

Ploshkin

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2022, 09:56:46 AM »
Fabulous Jessie and no one but you will notice the little errors.  It looks very complex to make - I'd like to see them do that in 2 hours on the Sewing Bee.
Life's too short for ironing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2022, 10:28:58 AM »
Brilliant bag Jessie  :perfect10: those zips are so neat.
Still learning

b15erk

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2022, 13:59:13 PM »
Finally finished the second bag.  It was slightly easier this time, as I had a better idea of what I wanted the finished bag to look like, and what I wanted it for. 

Construction is easier than the first one, as I now get all the fiddly bits done - bag straps, key strap, strap holders, magnetic snaps. Also, the middle pocket made and zips assembled, before the final seams are sewn.  In this case, I made the straps and strap holders from lining fabric as my machine refused the four layers of faux suede.  I'll try again with the strap, but the holders and key strap will stay as they are.

Everything went together really well, although I did turn the lining in a bit more when I did the final seam, so that it would fit more neatly.

As you can see there is plenty of room to carry my sunglasses, phone, lippy, keys, notebook and pen and a small change purse.

Time to order more zips etc for the rest of the Christmas Bags.

Jessie

Diane

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2022, 14:01:54 PM »
@b15erk Lovely job  :perfect10: i'm loving that purple suede  :loveit:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2022, 16:02:01 PM »
Looks great!