The Sewing Place

NewLook K6704 (Free with SewMag)

b15erk

NewLook K6704 (Free with SewMag)
« on: July 09, 2022, 19:42:48 PM »
I bought Sew Magazine in Asda last week as I fancied a sewing read, and found 3 rather nicee patterns came free with it, one of which I rather liked.  Unfortunately, I have no suitable summer trouser fabric, so I needed a trip to my local fabric shop.  I didn't want to go into town, so OH drove me, and waited - I had 15 minutes! 

As luck would have it, the remnant bin was overflowing, and immediately, two pieces of fabric threw themselves at me.  The first, about a yard and a half of fine cream jersey - perfect for camis!  The second a lovely black shiny glittery knit - about a yard, which will make up lovely at Hallowe'en.

Into the back room, and there was a lovely turquoise trouser weight, nothing fancy, but a great weight for trousers.  Just 3 yards on the roll, so she threw that in.  Further along, I spotted a glorious purple, but only a yard and a half.   That's it, that's me done.  I would have loved to root longer, as I was on a roll, but OH was baking in the car, so I paid and left.

£14 in total, but I have about 7 yards of really nice fabric in total.  I will cut the trousers out tonight maybe...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 19:44:39 PM by b15erk »
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

Re: NewLook K6704 (Free with SewMag)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 20:37:51 PM »
 :faints:  Well done!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 21:46:29 PM »
Nice haul  <3
Still learning

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 23:05:17 PM »
Fabulous purchases, well done!

SeamBean

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022, 21:16:50 PM »
Those trousers will look fab. What do you have planned for the glittery?

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2022, 21:37:49 PM »
@SeamBean ,nothing planned, but I'll cobble it together with other black fabrics, and make dgd a glam witches outfit.  She has we'll outgrown the last one!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SeamBean

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2022, 21:41:55 PM »
@SeamBean ,nothing planned, but I'll cobble it together with other black fabrics, and make dgd a glam witches outfit.  She has we'll outgrown the last one!

Jessie

She’ll be very glam with that!

Nevis5

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 11:54:44 AM »
Wow, good haul,  @b15erk   !  Wish I could get to a fabric shop and play.  Our little (curtain) fabric shop in town closed forever on Saturday  :boohoo: (greedy landlord demanding higher rent).  Don't know where I'll get my emergency haberdashery and ribbons now :(

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2022, 19:49:21 PM »
OK, toile done, and very pleased that I did.  I used an old duvet cover, and cut out as per the pattern.  It was an easy sew, but came up very big, and looks bulky.

So, I'll be making several alterations.  Firstly, I'll take it down a size or two, then, I'll change the elasticated waist to pleats at least at the front. 

The other issue is the buttoned pleat at the front of the trouser leg.  Although I've done mine differently, it  looks rather different on the pattern - more towards the side seam.  I didn't make a buttonhole, I felt it was unnecessary, and just sewed the buttons in place, but the spacing is as the pattern states.

Jessie

I'll cut out again tomorrow, with my alterations in mind.  Fingers crossed it will be better.  The toile (which is a baby pink), will serve as pyjamas in an emergency  :laughing:

mudcat

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 20:26:22 PM »
I would have done the same with the buttons @b15erk
But how much circumference is there?  Could it be some people have larger feet that wouldn't go through otherwise?  I made some pants that were that way.  I have to arch my foot straight down rather carefully to get it through.

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2022, 06:51:31 AM »
@mudcat , there's plenty of circumference for the feet - in fact there is plenty of circumference full stop!  I need to have a think before I carry on, try to get rid of some bulk.

I'll have a look at a some of my other trousers, to see if I can get a better fit.

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2022, 11:21:27 AM »
@b15erk if the pleats were turned out instead of in it would it put the pleats in the right place?

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2022, 12:44:15 PM »
@Ohsewsimple , I'll try that on the next pair.  The problem I think is that the actual buttonhole pulls over a little bit more than my adjustment.

I've altered the trousers , and they look better, but I think it's the elastic waist I'm strugggling with - even if it's just at the back.  I think I'll have to do a bit more thinking before I commit to these.  :thinking: :thinking:  I also need to go down about two sizes, as they feel very 'comfortable'.

I think I'm just not a fan of elasticated waists...

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2022, 20:15:23 PM »
I've just altered my pattern - two sizes smaller, and I intend cutting out tomorrow, but I'll put money on the fence paint arriving so, that may change.

I've decided to change the front pleats I did on the toile, to darts - I think they'll look better, and I'll mock up that buttonhole arrangement at the trouser bottoms to see if I can improve it.

I still don't like the back elastic, but short of re-designing the trousers, I don't see that there is much I can do... I'll have a ponder... :thinking: :thinking:

Jessie