The Sewing Place

Can I use these fabrics to make a sort of lap quilt

Celia

Can I use these fabrics to make a sort of lap quilt
« on: July 11, 2022, 15:09:39 PM »
I was going through some sewing stash and came across these fabrics, they are off cuts I was given, they are beautiful Italian cotton, very fine, used for mens shirts.
The main problem is the bulk of them are red and blue, in various patterns, I don’t want to buy more fabric to go with them as it would be really difficult to find a similar quality without paying an arm and a leg.

I am only thinking of doing something really simple. No fancy cutting or fancy quilting, the simpler the better.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Acorn

Re: Can I use these fabrics to make a sort of lap quilt
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 15:16:52 PM »
I can't see why not.  The main requirement for patchwork is having fabrics of the same weight, which these obviously are.  They are lovely.  You'll have to take care with cutting everything straight!!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Diane

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 15:27:58 PM »
@Celia You could make a quilted window sill cushion for your puddy cat  :P
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 15:37:51 PM »
Yes, as @Acorn says, if they're the same weight there should be no problem
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 16:27:24 PM »
OOOhh I like the bottom left ... it glows!

Well you know what Ill say ... shirting for quilting Of course ... tho Spray starch before you cut if theyre fine and floppy and sew straight away to keep things straight.

Nothing wrong with simple! Simple piecing, Simple quilting .. Heaven!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 21:46:41 PM »
Of course you can use those fabrics to make a lap quilt; though it might end up a bit dark if you don't add a splash of something brighter - have a look at men's shirts in your local charity shop.

Yes, keep it simple, something like a rail fence pattern.  I personally would cut those fabrics with shears rather than the rotary cutter and ruler as I find it much easier to keep to the grain lines.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Celia

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 09:05:03 AM »
Thank you everyone, yes @Iminei that one is my favourite Colbert there are only a couple of them.

The pieces are all cut the same size 8 inches wide would it be possible to just sew them together in say pairs and then cut , I am thinking of something like your quilt Imi.

I do have a collection of mens shirts @BrendaP but the quality of this fabric is much finer thank I have ever seen, apparently these fabrics are spun specially in Italy for designer shirts.  The colours are not as dark as they look in the Picts so hopefully it won’t look too dark, I might give it to my son so I don’t think he would mind dark.

What is the best size to make a lap quilt.

Lots of questions sorry

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 10:07:19 AM »
For "average to tall" people it's usual for a lap quilt to be at least 48" x 60" they say. In reality , any size from 48" square upwards. ...depends where it's going and who is going to use it.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

maliw

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 10:37:41 AM »
Keep it simple and go for it.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

maliw

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 10:41:14 AM »
Just had a thought, if you don't want plain squares, try a disappearing 4 patch although it might look a bit busy, not sure. Missouri star quilt company video on Youtube.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Celia

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2022, 15:13:16 PM »
Thank you I enjoyed watching those disappearing 4 patch and maybe sometime in the future …….

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2022, 16:47:09 PM »
@Celia , there's a lot going on in the prints/weaves in the fabrics already, I think the simple squares would be best.

Celia

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 16:58:10 PM »
Thanks @SewRuthieSews i think I will try a little 1/4 inch seam and see how it goes. I will report back

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2022, 10:21:00 AM »
Squares or rectangles will definitely work best with those fabrics, don't try anything fancy with diagonal cuts.
A couple of ideas:

https://windhamfabrics.com/php/fabricshop/fabricshop.php?a=pls&patternID=1468

https://quiltsocial.com/5-ways-to-use-rail-fence-blocks/
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Celia

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2022, 10:27:58 AM »
Wow BrendaP I really like this sort of quilt I am definitely going to give it a try, now for the next question I only want a thinish quilt what could I use for the wadding