The Sewing Place

I Hate My Iron

Acorn

I Hate My Iron
« on: July 11, 2022, 19:50:53 PM »
I could wax diabolical about the horrible thing for hours, but I know I have moaned about my iron in various other places on here, so I won't go into details.  Just believe me, it has no redeeming features.

I have been looking for a new iron for over 6 months, with an increasing sense of desperation.  My requirements are simple.  I want a shiny stainless steel soleplate, and well spread out holes for the steam* - no grooves or indentations.  I don't want to pay more than £40-£50, which seems reasonable as I don't want any clever gadget-y features.

However, it is incredibly hard to see what the soleplate of an iron looks like when you are shopping online, and stainless steel doesn't necessarily mean shiny.  I have looked (in person) in

• Currys - the only shiny s-s soleplated one was labelled for 'occasional use'   :facepalm:
  • Asda - ditto
  • The Range - nothing like it
  • Sainsburys - nothing

I have been through so many listings on Amazon that I am losing the will to live.

Has anyone seen anything like this anywhere?  Is there a secret, brilliant place for buying irons?

*I need the steam for non-sewing ironing.

If you really want to know, this is the offending article.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kwaaked

Re: I Hate My Iron
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 20:32:48 PM »
I can't help you, I just upgraded to a steam generator and paid the price of an old used car for it.  Price not withstanding, I wish I'd of done this years ago.

If you want to up the cost a bit, a gravity feed iron is loads better than a typical household steam iron and will have all of the requirements, plus it will also give you an option of an additional sole plate you can add to diffuse the steam better.

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 21:18:56 PM »
I did the same as Kwaaked and thought it was the bees knees at first, then it needed cleaning, 6 months on and it's still spitting limescale and black bits out despite having a special pipe that's supposed to let flush the tank inside the actual iron itself  :headbang:

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 22:12:01 PM »
I don't really want something that takes up so much space - either on/by the ironing board or in the cupboard.  The steaming isn't greatly important - anything that steams with reasonable energy will be fine, as long as it doesn't have grooves on the soleplate.

Kwaaked

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 22:13:15 PM »
I did the same as Kwaaked and thought it was the bees knees at first, then it needed cleaning, 6 months on and it's still spitting limescale and black bits out despite having a special pipe that's supposed to let flush the tank inside the actual iron itself  :headbang:

Mine didn't get to pressure in 15 minutes and I was on the phone to Reliable wanting to return it.  They extended the return period another 30 days to see if using it would help the system.   My gravity feed has maintenance on it daily and weekly.  Because I close on Sundays and Mondays, I leave it drained and rinsed out for a few days (I don't sew on Saturdays even if I am there, so I do this on Friday).  Bit of a pain in the backside, but I don't use distilled water, so I am sure I will have to delime it sooner or later.

I have a gravity feed iron that did this and wound up having to flush the system with vinegar and water 6 times before I got all the brown spitting out. 

Ouryve

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 22:17:10 PM »
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6707644 is mine. The sole plate isn't shiny but it's not that awful sticky ceramic stuff, it's light and pointy and manoeuvrable enough for me to just use an edge on a seam, when needed,  heats up super quick, has a long cord and belts out the steam when it's needed.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 07:58:01 AM »
I'm a Steam Generator fan, mine is a Philips Perfect Care Performer, and I love it.  Steam on demand, never burns, no thermostat, switches off when no in use - what's not to like.

I do keep a cheapie 'Normal' iron - just in case, but haven't needed to use it yet.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Puzzler

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 08:06:36 AM »
Another steam gen fan. I have the cheapest (at the time) Phillips. It beeps annoyingly when it wants cleaning. That’s an easy process. I use either distilled water or water from my tumble dryer. I also have a cheapo Tesco jobbie that I bought for craft use, such as when I use bondaweb, but I also now use that for sewing. You are not meant to keep water in the tank of the steam gen when not in use and there are often gaps of time when I use the iron for sewing projects.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 08:18:09 AM »
When online the description should include the soleplate being either stainless steel or ceramic etc.

When looking for a replacement for The Lemming (ie looking for an exact double but without the lemming gene) I looked through Currys w/s and found they had the one I wanted with the correct description ... ie stainless steel soleplate.

I didnt think you could get a steam iron without grooves but then again what do I know?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 08:46:40 AM »
Mine doesn't have grooves, just holes but it doesn't have a SS bottom.
I do actually like it.
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2022, 09:35:34 AM »
@Iminei They have the description, but don't say (or show) whether it's shiny stainless steel. 

You can get steam irons with just holes and no grooves at all, but it is possible that that's only with non-stainless steel plates.  I have seen a couple of shiny plates with holes that have a bit of an indentation alongside but not actual grooves, but they only had them around the outside, which means the steam isn't going everywhere.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2022, 09:40:09 AM »
I hate any iron, so I don't use them  :laughing: :laughing:

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 10:05:19 AM »
I think the reason that irons aren't made with stainless steel soleplates is that in order to heat up evenly they would need to be either very thick and therefore heavy or else sandwiched with aluminium, in the way that good quality stainless saucepans are. 

The last time I had a dead iron I trotted off to my local John Lewis, cornered a 'partner' and told her to sell me a steam iron with specifications of 3m cable and enough oomph to steam coat weight wool.  That narrowed the range down to two (those steam gizmos that can 'go from denim to silk at the same temperature' wouldn't cut the mustard for sewing applications, she said) and I bought the Bosch option.  Apart from the fact that the cover of the water tank occasionally pops open unbidden, I've had no problems with it. 

I don't use tap water in it so I have no limescale problems (Hertfordshire water is fairly chalky).  I buy 5lt containers of demineralised water from Halfords and use that instead (and in the steam mop too).

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2022, 10:44:36 AM »
I'm a big fan of steam generators, from 1992 when I got my first one.  I've got two at the moment , one for sewing upstairs, and I have found the Phillips irons seem to last a long time (I use distilled water in them).  I had a brief sojourn with a Russell Hobbs that didn't last five minutes.  I quite like the ceramic plates as well.

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-m-ho/ironing/latest#availability=onsale%2Cinstock&filters=STEAM_IRONS_SU

My best neighbour like you @Bodgeitandscarper she starts laughing if ironing ever gets mentioned.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2022, 12:54:02 PM »
Another steam gen fan.  I’ve got two Philips.  The cheaper one I use for dressmaking and has variable temperatures.  The much more expensive one I dislike because you there is no temperature to adjust.  You have to have it on less or more steam which annoys me. 
And personally I hate stainless steel plates.  Curious as to what you like about them @Acorn