The Sewing Place

I Hate My Iron

Acorn

Re: I Hate My Iron
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2022, 13:04:21 PM »
In my experience they slide better, give better heat and are far, far easier to clean. 

I have had a ceramic plate that I liked in the past, but most of them now have strange names, and there's clearly no way of knowing whether it will be OK or not.  My current horrible iron has a 'multi-directional diamond ceramic soleplate' which sounds wonderful (although 'multidirectional'???  :[ ) but is terrible.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2022, 14:00:04 PM »
I think I’ve had a ceramic sole in the past and didn’t like that.  Each to our own.  :)

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2022, 14:35:51 PM »
I with Acorn regards stainless steel so much easier to clean and sparkly shiny too!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2022, 15:28:22 PM »
I think I may have found one!!   :D

mudcat

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2022, 20:03:02 PM »
I just bought this Rowenta (made in Germany) with stainless steel soleplate.  I'm happy with it other than it's noisy.
https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/rowenta-everlast-anticalc-iron/?pkey=s~iron~823&sbkey=williams-sonoma-home

I chose it for the anti-calc properties.  My last two irons were constantly spewing crap and cleaning would only help for a week or two but I had super hard water in Arizona.  The water in my area of Tennessee is not as hard.  I'm also dumping the water after every use which isn't something I've always done. 

I had a gravity feed iron in the past but I burned it out because it was during a period in my life when I sewed a lot and I'd leave it on all day for 2-3 days a week.   Also it was a little too heavy for my tiny wrist and caused pain.  But it sure did work well.  It also required distilled water so it never spewed garbage like the regular irons.

Acorn

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2022, 20:15:12 PM »
That page isn't showing in this country.   :(  I had a good look at Rowenta irons, because it's a make I like, but didn't find anything over here.

I have, however, just ordered a Tefal iron with a nice shiny stainless steel soleplate and only the necessary holes.  Not too expensive either - £25 including next day delivery.

Fingers crossed... my new tumble dryer arrives tomorrow, so I'll have a good sized ironing pile by the time it arrives on Thursday.

Iminei

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2022, 10:52:34 AM »
Mines the cheapest iron in Currys, a Russel Hobbs purple one .. with the Stainless Steel soleplate!

When I first bought it .. it was £9 ... I think the non lemming variety cost a bit more at £15.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

So Chic

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2022, 12:51:47 PM »
I have the same iron as Iminei and it's great although I can't remember how much I paid for it but I think it was fairly cheap.  I also have a Philips steam generator but I only use that if I have a lot of ironing, and I have a Morphy Richards dry iron which was a wedding present 45 years ago and that is still used occasionally for some sewing tasks.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

mudcat

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2022, 20:16:57 PM »
That page isn't showing in this country.   :(  I had a good look at Rowenta irons, because it's a make I like, but didn't find anything over here.

Geo blocking really annoys me @Acorn.

Maybe one of these is accessible:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Rowenta+Everlast+Anticalc+Iron+DW7180&t=ffab&iax=images&ia=images

When I was looking I was trying to find a high wattage iron as some of them don't get hot enough to deal with my beloved linen.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 20:18:28 PM by mudcat »

Acorn

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2022, 20:27:45 PM »
That looks like a great iron - especially the soleplate.