The Sewing Place

Very cheap foot actually works!

Adey1981

Very cheap foot actually works!
« on: July 12, 2022, 18:13:22 PM »
I dont have an overlocker (yet  :devil:) so I was looking at those side-cutter feet. I didn't want to spend £30 on the Singer one, so just bought a really cheap one from ebay.

I did a little test on some denim and it came out really well. This is waaaay better than how my seam allowances usually look.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Not too shabby eh?

Acorn

Re: Very cheap foot actually works!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 18:50:09 PM »
Very nice!   :thumb:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 19:55:34 PM »
Nice one @Adey1981, there'll be no stopping you once you get an overlocker and you know you really want one  :rolleyes:

Adey1981

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 22:29:38 PM »
I do want one @Surest1tch but I'm also a bit hesitant. I get quite stressed with my machine that has one needle, let alone 3.
 :laugh:

Ouryve

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 22:39:27 PM »
It's 1 or 2 needles and 2 loopers, unless you get a fancy dancy one.

And they're much quicker and easier to thread than people make out. It's just like threading your current machine 3 or 4 times over.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

toileandtrouble

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 00:34:22 AM »
Threading is not a problem. Just follow the manual and get the loopers in the right order. The needles are last. Modern ones are made much easier to thread than the earlier ones.  I had one of those sidecutters about 50 years ago and it did a cracking job with my old Singer. I overlooked the edges of the pieces for some trousers and they looked so neat!  An overlocker is amazing for speed though and you can make a strong seam with one.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 10:10:22 AM »
Best get one with a needle threader then @Adey1981   Generally  with the loopers I just tie a new threads on and put my foot down.  In fact yesterday I forgot to move all the dials to 0, but they came out unscathed.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2022, 10:43:43 AM »
Mostly when I change colours on the overlocker it's:

Cut needle threads close to the needles
Cut looper threads high up near to the cones of thread
Tie new colours onto the looper threads and pull through
Rethread the needles which is very straight forward

You can't usually pull a knot through the eye of a needle but they will go through the bigger holes in the loopers.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Adey1981

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2022, 13:32:04 PM »
I might think about getting one, one day.
I do have a few hobbies that can be quite expensive and also have a 10 year old Son - so I cant be too self-indulgent, at least not for a few years yet.  :thumb:

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 16:22:52 PM »
I might think about getting one, one day.
I do have a few hobbies that can be quite expensive and also have a 10 year old Son - so I cant be too self-indulgent, at least not for a few years yet.  :thumb:

Look at it this way, it's more an investment than indulgence, 10 year olds have a habit of becoming teenagers and drifting away, besides you don't have to get one of the high end ones. I've had one of mine around 20 years and apart from getting it serviced it owes me nothing and still works like a dream.