The Sewing Place

Inserting a Stretch Jersey Neckband into a Woven Cotton T-shirt top

SewingBeeAddict

Re: Inserting a Stretch Jersey Neckband into a Woven Cotton T-shirt top
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2022, 18:13:55 PM »
Yes, @SewingBeeAddict - the linen is Merchant & Mills linen 185 and the ribbing for the neckband is also from there, both in sweeps scrim which is a nice charcoal/black - appeals to my ageing goth wannabe! I would say merchant & Mills fabric and patterns are my guilty pleasure but they're often pretty reasonably priced for the quality.

Also a fan of liberty tana lawn and indulged in a length of this, in the sale (though not lucky enough to get it that cheap!) which I think will make a fine collarless shirt or tunic.

Hi Ouryve, thanks for your reply!

I love Merchant and Mills, and my sister is also a big fan. Their shop in Rye isn't far from us, so I've been over a couple of times and it's a wonderful place. They have baskets of remnants at excellent prices so if you're ever down this way, it's definitely worth a visit.

Btw, I see you're from "up north", we moved down from Northumberland at the end of last year, I'm definitely enjoying the improved weather down here in Kent - hence needing all these summer tops!

Also, ref Tana Lawn, I love your fabric, that's such a great design - very dramatic! Attached is a photo of a top I've just made in the "Liberty Building" fabric which I think was from the same collection. Tbh I wasn't too sure about to start with, but now I've made it up, I'm really pleased with it - I just managed to squeeze the top out of my 1m of fabric! 
...with my cherished Bernina 1015 - a 1991 Vintage ♥

SewingBeeAddict

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2022, 18:23:28 PM »
Hi Everyone!

Thanks again for your replies and advice!

I've had another go using different fabric, so I now have yet another new top to wear in this heat wave!

I am really pleased with the results this time - I narrowed the band a bit (thanks @Ohsewsimple!), and used my wonder clips for the first time (thanks @SewRuthieSews!), and stretched it a bit more.

It's still not perfect, but it's certainly a big improvement which I'm really pleased about - thanks again everyone!!
  :vintage:
...with my cherished Bernina 1015 - a 1991 Vintage ♥

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2022, 18:32:13 PM »
Great that looks very smooth!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2022, 18:37:19 PM »
Well it looks pretty perfect to me.  :)  It’s never going to look the same as it will on the body.  That’s the test.  Well done, I’d say you’ve cracked it.  :thumb:

Ouryve

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2022, 19:20:43 PM »
Now that looks very well behaved, @SewingBeeAddict!
The buildings top is lovely, too.

I'm in Durham and currently appreciating our cooler weather. It's only supposed to get to 35C here, on Tuesday. Didn't enjoy last winter's storms very much, though. My old house, just a few miles out of town, was without power for 9 days, after Arwen.

I'm jealous of your proximity to M&M, though my bank balance is probably healthier for it!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"