The Sewing Place

StyleArc Billie Woven Pant

b15erk

StyleArc Billie Woven Pant
« on: July 17, 2022, 07:24:27 AM »
I decided on this, after a big fat fail with the New Look pattern. 

Cutting out was easy, as the fabric is so nice - fingers crossed it fits, as I've put a bit of weight on since I cut the pattern out!

All was going well, until I reached the left hand pocket/opening/fastening.  What a faff!  No help from Pattern Review, so I had to work it out for myself.

Never done anything like this, and as one lady said on the StyleArc reviews, it needs a whole page of explanation, rather than a couple of pics and a sentence!

The fastening arrangement makes it quite unforgiving when making adjustments, as you have to make both sides symetrical. 

Tbh, I'm wondering if a back zip would be feasible?  A front zip would distract from the front, which is really nice... :thinking: :thinking:

If anyone has done these trousers I would be interested to know how you tackled the fastening arrangement.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

maliw

Re: StyleArc Billie Woven Pant
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 09:23:45 AM »
Is there anything on YouTube? I know I did one of their patterns with a fiddly neckline and they put a tut online.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 09:39:53 AM »
@maliw , no, I trawled YouTube and found plenty showing how to do slant pockets, but none with the fastening/opening included...

Just sewing on the hook and bar now, then I'll give them a try on - with fingers firmly crossed!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

maliw

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 11:53:23 AM »
 :(
Hope you get it sorted @b15erk
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 12:58:23 PM »
Finished!  This is now probably my favourite pattern! 

I fairness, I should really have toiled these, as the fastening/opening was a bit tricky.  I figured it out eventually, and it just fell together beautifully.

A couple of areas to think about though:

You need to get the sizing spot on, because, there is no adjustment on the fastening.  You can't move the fastening tighter or looser, because the feature top of the trouser is meant to be symetrical. 

Then trouser turn ups.  StyleArc give a zigzag cutting arrangement for the cuff, but, it wasn't ideal.  I'll usse my own method next time.  I'll also be shortening them, as I pefer them a little shorter.

Finally, the fastening/opening arrangement.  Never done anything like this, and it took me a while to figure it out, but I have to say, now that I've done it, it looks perfect.  Again, there will be a few tweaks in the next pair, but on the whole it works nicely, and I won't be trying to fit a zip any time soon!

My verdict: Beautiful trousers, and I would have put some pics up, but for some reason, the pics aren't transferring... :cry:

Jessie

Starryfish

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 13:08:54 PM »
I'd love to see them! I did a toile but I don't know if was the fabric I used ( a horrible thickish polyester), but they were not flattering to me at all. I have a fairly large backside so maybe it was the pleated front that was making me look rather bulky.
I would like to try again, but decent drapy fabric is costly and I don't want to waste my time and money if the end result is unwearable.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 13:13:54 PM »
@Starryfish , I thought that may be the case, as I have put on more than a few pounds over recent weeks!  Before this, I made a New Look toile with elasticated wais, and they looked awful.  These are actually very flattering, and feel very nice on.

Wish I could get the pics up, they are just not transferring... :rolleyes:

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 14:31:18 PM »
At last!  Pics have made it from phone to PC!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie

Diane

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 14:48:23 PM »
@b15erk Very nicely sewn and i'm a fan of that colour  :thumb:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022, 14:52:38 PM »
Clever opening @b15erk.  I think I’ve seen this sort somewhere before  :thinking:

StitchinTime

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2022, 17:32:10 PM »
I think I’ve seen this sort somewhere before  :thinking:

Did they have something similar on the pattern challenge button front trousers on Sewing Bee?

Kad

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2022, 17:49:14 PM »
I have a, I think it's a Butterick, wardrobe
 pattern from years ago - 1984ish, that has a loose raglan sleeve shirt and jacket together with skirt and trousers with this type of fastening. The waistbands have tabs and 'd rings' on both sides, left for fastening purposes and on the right to balance. DD found this pattern a couple of years ago and loves both the skirt and trousers as they give a nice flat front appearance and are adjustable for comfort.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Ouryve

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2022, 18:00:08 PM »
That's a very clever design and a gorgeous shade of blue.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2022, 18:39:06 PM »
Did they have something similar on the pattern challenge button front trousers on Sewing Bee?

Don’t think it was quite same but on those lines.  I’ve a feeling I’ve seen it in a book.  :thinking:

Ellabella

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2022, 19:44:21 PM »
I’m sure there was a Threads article on using this type of opening, the look very good Jessie.