The Sewing Place

Help with decorative stiches

Tr4cie

Help with decorative stiches
« on: July 19, 2022, 12:30:57 PM »
Hello!

In pretty new to sewing, and I've recently upgraded my basic machine to a Silver 404. This is my first experience with a machine that has decorative stitches, and I'm keen to use them in my projects. However, I'm struggling to get them to look how they are supposed to. The machine will sew evenly, but the finished patterns just look wrong! I'm sure there's an obvious reason for this, but it's beyond my limited experience!

Can anyone offer some advice?

Thank you!

LeilaMay

Re: Help with decorative stiches
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 12:51:00 PM »
Can you describe this "wrongness" so we can understand a bit better?  :)
You'll get there.

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 13:02:41 PM »
Do you mean they look different to the pictogram on the machine? That's not uncommon. Are you using the correct foot? Decorative stitches don't work well with the standard foot.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 13:04:17 PM »
Don't they @Lachica ? Mine do.I only ever use the one foot that came fitted on the machine :thinking:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 13:36:52 PM »
All the machines I've ever had with decorative stitches (4 to date) have a dedicated foot with a wide groove underneath. This is to allow sideways movement which you wouldn't want when, for example, patchworking.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 13:56:55 PM »
I can only speak for the 2 machines I've had....both Brothet. I've never changed the foot and have used lots of the 200+ decorative stitches as embellishments. They've all worked ok. I have a mirror setting and a sideways setting but they still work with the general foot.
What is the specific difficulty @Tr4cie ?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

realale

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2022, 14:49:57 PM »
Are they puckering? If they are you may need to add some tearaway stabiliser underneath.
The best thing to do is to get a piece of plain cotton -about A4 size - add some backing to it to give it body and then play with every stitch. Narrowing, lengthening, mirroring etc all give different effects. Use up unwanted dark thread on light fabric and light thread on dark fabric so you can easily see the stitches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH3mSogGQ-I this is a Youtube video that describes how and why to do a 'stitch bible' or 'stitch book'
So many beers, so little time.

Tr4cie

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2022, 15:09:45 PM »
Thank you for your replies. There's definitely some things I'll try.

It's difficult to describe the issues I've been having, so I'll attached an example.

The picture shows how the stitch should look, next to the results I'm getting.

I've tried using a satin stitch foot. Could it be a fault with the machine?

Thank you again!

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 16:23:54 PM »
Have you got the stitch length settings as they should be?  Are the feed dogs properly engaged? 

This is a pattern where the fabric needs to go backwards and forwards as well as the needle moving left and right.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 16:59:36 PM »
What sort of fabric are you using? I generally find that this type of pattern doesn't like stretch fabric too much.
Have you got the right sort of needle inserted?
Are you using good quality thread? You may get away with using cheap thread on straight stiches but you embroidery stitches don't like it.
Have tried slowing down the speed of the machine, again i find you get a more consistent stitch if you go slow.
Have you tried any of the other decorative stiches and do you get better/same results?
Worse case scenario is that the stepping motor is kaput (this gives an even feed), is the machine under warranty? Can you take it back to were you bought it from?
This is a British company so you should be able to contact them direct for help.
Sorry lots of questions but no solutions.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

mudcat

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 17:00:13 PM »
@Lachica I was wondering why the "honeycomb" stitch I use for edge stitching my napkins took the B foot instead of the A foot.  I always use the foot the machine tells me to but never actually knew the reason behind the A/B differences.  The rest of the feet are more obvious. 

Now I'll have to go sample and check out the difference in what it looks like.   :thinking:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 17:39:32 PM »
The first thing is check the straight stitch is ok.  Then the zig zag stitch. 
Is this a new machine or second hand?   As @realale says you will need some stabiliser underneath.  Failing that always sample on double fabric and never a single layer. 

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2022, 17:50:52 PM »
@Lowena your machine tells you which foot to use when the stitch is selected.  It may work with the J foot but not as well as using the correct foot.  It prevents build up of stitches in one place when using the correct foot and may also allow you to see more clearly and position them better when using fancy stitches. 

Tr4cie

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2022, 18:08:08 PM »
Have you got the stitch length settings as they should be?  Are the feed dogs properly engaged? 

I believe the machine automatically selects the recommended settings for each stitch.

I'm not sure about the feed dogs. How would I check this?

Thank you!

Tr4cie

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2022, 18:12:12 PM »
What sort of fabric are you using? I generally find that this type of pattern doesn't like stretch fabric too much.
Have you got the right sort of needle inserted?
Are you using good quality thread? You may get away with using cheap thread on straight stiches but you embroidery stitches don't like it.
Have tried slowing down the speed of the machine, again i find you get a more consistent stitch if you go slow.
Have you tried any of the other decorative stiches and do you get better/same results?
Worse case scenario is that the stepping motor is kaput (this gives an even feed), is the machine under warranty? Can you take it back to were you bought it from?
This is a British company so you should be able to contact them direct for help.
Sorry lots of questions but no solutions.

Thank you - that's given me a lot to think about.  That fabric was a bit of scrap stretch denim, so I will try a firmer fabric. The thread is decent quality, but I may not be using the right needle. Is there a type that is recommended?