The Sewing Place

StyleArc Montana

Ellabella

StyleArc Montana
« on: July 20, 2022, 18:49:23 PM »
I need an easy summer dress and am drawn to the Montana and know that a few people on here have made it.

Ill do a toile first because I usually plump for sizing up rather than sizing down and I know StyleArc often run large. 

I have some beautiful double gauze that I would love to use but can’t find a review of the pattern in this type of fabric. Has anybody used anything like this?

Helen M

Re: StyleArc Montana
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 19:35:47 PM »
The only thing I found was that the neckline was a bit wide on me @Ellabella but I am very narrow across the shoulders. If I made it again I'd cut it on the fold (sorry can't recall if it's cut on fold or a 1 layer layout) to make it narrower. I didn't use the double bodice method as I didn't have sufficient fabric and after using the facing I didn't find it lay very well so I  made my own bias tape which worked well. It was the first time I'd done that!

I used a viscose which drapes nicely. Not sure if double gauze would do that?
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Celia

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 20:14:26 PM »
I have this dress cut out but not in that sort of material so probably no help to you

sewmuchmore

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 21:25:13 PM »
@Ellabella there is a review on the Style Arc site from someone who used double gauze but other than giving it 5 stars and saying she used this fabric not a lot else was said.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 22:20:14 PM »
Oh I forgot about reviews on the actual site. I just checked Pattern Review.  I’ll do a toile once I’ve got it printed before I commit.

I’ve never used double gauze and don’t want the dress to be too fooofy, I can’t afford to add too much bulk to my over large bottom half. :rolleyes:

mudcat

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 22:30:00 PM »
I have this pattern but never made it because I realized the size (10) I had copy shop printed was probably going to be too tight in the bust area.  I had always planned to use rayon or possibly a light weight linen. 

In looking at the makes on PR I think I'd stick to fabric with drape.  Also it seems like the armhole could be a bit tight on some people.  Just things to think about.

I look forward to seeing your rendition.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2022, 09:39:08 AM »
I’ve never used double gauze and don’t want the dress to be too fooofy, I can’t afford to add too much bulk to my over large bottom half. :rolleyes:
I have only every used it once, to make a dress, hated it, felt like i had a nighty on. Will never use it again.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Helen M

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2022, 10:24:52 AM »
I used double gauze for a beach cover up but don't think I'd use it for a dress.

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2022, 11:21:16 AM »
@Ellabella Stylearc have a 25% off sale at the moment. I think some of their other discount codes may be able to be applied in addition. I've successfully used GET20 and SEWITYOURWAY recently.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ellabella

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2022, 16:30:07 PM »
I’ve just sent the pattern to Fabricate to get it printed, once it’s back I’ll make a toile of the bodice and then decide on the fabric. If I don’t think the DG will work I do have another couple of options.

Helen M

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2022, 19:50:37 PM »
Not sure if you're planning to do the double bodice method for the top on this dress @Ellabella but came across this when I was perusing the SA website this morning. It was under 'magazine' right at the bottom of the home page. I think it will also be in the tutorial section as well. Anyway I thought I'd post the link:-

https://www.stylearc.com/magazine/sewing-tutorials/double-bodice-montana-midi-dress-nova-midi-dress-june-sheath-dress/

Ellabella

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2022, 20:01:29 PM »
Thanks @Helen M , I’ve just tried to view it and it’s not playing, so not just us having problems.

I’ll try later, my WiFi is often iffy early in the evening.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2022, 22:34:14 PM »
That’s an interesting method.

Ellabella

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2022, 17:14:50 PM »
Managed to watch the video and think it looks very interesting.

I will definitely line the bodice with a different fabric to the outer  fo my first attempt as I can see me getting very confused as to which bit is which (I am very easily confused).

As soon as I finish the bag I am making I will get straight on with my toile, should  be Tuesday.