The Sewing Place

CopyCatWristBag

b15erk

CopyCatWristBag
« on: July 25, 2022, 13:40:18 PM »
This is a blatant copy of a bag I own.  It's most useful, but looking a bit shabby atm, so as I can't remember where I bought it, I thought I'd have a go myself.

It has two pouches, one of which has a zippered pocket at the front.  That is where I'm up to.

Now comes the head scratching bit, which I have an awful feeling should have been done earlier... :rolleyes:  The front part of the bag needs to be joined to the back, and at the same time, a strap holder needs to be attached.  :S

I should have ironed on some stabiliser at the joining point, and also the strap holder, so I'll try to do that before I go any further.  I'm not intending to use this - apart from as a crochet hook/knitting needle holder, so I won't worry too much about this.

Some progress pics.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

Re: CopyCatWristBag
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 15:00:38 PM »
If you fathom this out @b15erk let me know.  :laughing:
All I would say is leave the zips open somewhat! :thinking:

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 16:23:20 PM »
What was that you said about unzipping the zips @Ohsewsimple ?   :embarrassed:

Anyway, all done now, and I'm rather pleased with it.  I wouldn't use this awful upholstery fabric again, it frays like the devil, but I have a couple of other pieces which may do...

It was a bit tricky, and the last bit - adding the second pouch, definitely needs stabilising, as where you  join the two together, will get pulled every time you put something inside.

I haven't put a strap on this  one - life is far too short, but I've put the strap holder in.  I'm quite proud of myself because I usually struggle, with inside outs, and upside downs, but this went together quite easily.

Struggling to add pics again, but I'll put them up as soon as they transfer from my phone.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 18:34:42 PM »
Pics now downloaded

Jessie

Diane

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 18:39:44 PM »
Nice job @b15erk , love the orange zip with that fabric, it really sets it off.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 18:42:23 PM »
I think I'll have to browse for some fancy schmancy zips like the original has, I really like them...

Off for a root in the fabric boxes, to find suitable fabric - I know it's there somewhere... :thinking:

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 18:57:19 PM »
Oh well done @b15erk.  I’d love to know how you did it.  I have real problems working these sort of things out.  :thinking:

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 19:27:36 PM »
@Ohsewsimple , that's why I had to toile it!  My brain doesn't work upside down and inside out!  :S

Tbh, it was easier because I had the original bag in front of me, and I knew how to make a simple pouch.

The small half pouch just joins to the front first, and the second pouch is sewn, with everything scrunched up inside it - like an elaborate burrito!

The difficult bit was attaching the second pouch in such a way that a small pocket is formed between the two, and at the same time attaching the strap holder  :rolleyes: :thinking:  Turns out it's just a squat 'U' shaped row of stitching a few cms in from the edge.

Just need to find the blessed fabric now - and reasonably priced zips - some of the zips were mind boggling prices...

Jessie

realale

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2022, 21:29:21 PM »
That is a good copy @b15erk. Well done on working it out. Sometimes my brain freezes when I try to do things like that and I go all the way round before I get to the clarity moment and think "Why didn't I just...."   :facepalm:
So many beers, so little time.

LeilaMay

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2022, 09:12:47 AM »
Can you steal the zips out of the bag you're replacing?

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2022, 09:16:33 AM »
@LeilaMay , I will eventually, but it's still usable atm, it's a very tempting idea though!  I'm always worried that I'll mess up, and I would have cut the old bag up for nothing.

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2022, 11:35:25 AM »
I just knew it!  The fabric I couldn't find, turned up safe and well this morning, in a drawer I'd already looked in!

Now I'll have two bags... :laughing: :laughing:

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2022, 11:37:45 AM »
I have also found a flipping pattern!  It's very similar, but without the front zip pocket - I wish I'd seen it sooner...

Double Clutch Bag

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2022, 11:40:51 AM »
I’ve made that one @b15erk.  It’s not made quite as you describe.  That’s why I’m wondered how you did it. 
It’s also very small so if I do it again I’ll resize it!

Ellabella

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2022, 11:51:36 AM »
Oh I’ve got the double clutch bag, I intend to make it out of DDs old leather coat.