The Sewing Place

Throw-type Stuff

Acorn

Throw-type Stuff
« on: July 27, 2022, 21:07:48 PM »
I have a settee that needs recovering.  However, it lives in the conservatory, so any cover is going to fade.  I have samples of suitable fabrics and I don't like the feel of them - I'm also not terribly keen on making a loose cover for it.

I have (more-or-less) decided to put a large throw over it, well tucked into place, possibly with a few judicious stitches to keep it straight, because this is a settee that gets lounged-on.  The problem is that the throw needs to be at least 2.5m by 3.8m, and the only one I can find that size is horrible, and would look scruffy before anyone even sat on it.

I thought that I would look for suitable fabric that is wide enough, but I can't find anything at all.  I'm very open to the type of fabric, although I would favour something with a texture - bouclé or waffle maybe.

Can anyone suggest somewhere to look?  I've tried the only (relatively) local shop that sells this sort of fabric, and they had absolutely nothing that was anywhere near wide enough, although they did have a nice bouclé.  I've also looked at the online shops that I would normally use for upholstery or curtaining, and again, nothing is wide enough.

I can see me ending up with three separate throws (two would look odd, three could be arranged to look OK), but I would probably have to sew them together so that everything wouldn't go awry as soon as anyone sat down.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

Re: Throw-type Stuff
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 21:34:00 PM »
First of all @Acorn  you are talking in goobledigook ... what are these metres and cms  you speak of ???

Try Ikea ... keep an open mind to size .. two can become one you know !
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Flobear

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 22:23:03 PM »
When you do find/make something large enough, be prepared to be rearranging it pretty often!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

realale

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 22:44:25 PM »
I once has a really comfortable settee that didn't suit my decor so I used throws - I spent my life straightening the throws, rearranging the throws, tucking in the throws, smoothing the throws........ - you get the picture. Those throws were the bane of my life. They moved, shifted, slid, crept did anything but stay so please consider this with your throws - you may need to do more than 'tuck it in well with a few judicious stitches' especially if the settee is used for lounging on.
My daughter has the same problem with her throws on her settee - perhaps it's a familial thing and everyone else has perfectly behaved throws. Though it sounds like Flobear has the same issue!!!  0_0
So many beers, so little time.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 22:46:09 PM »
2.5m wide + 100 inches (give or take a coupe of mm).
AFAIK the only fabrics that come that wide are sheets/sheeting, extra wide cotton fabric for backing quilts or king size blankets.

If you can find something you like that's 50" or more wide (125cm) you could buy 7.6 metres of it.
Cut in half across the width, then cut one of the pieces in half lengthways and then join them so that you have two seams and the full width piece in the middle.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 16:55:40 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 23:04:51 PM »
Not sure about the measurements but might a king size bedspread (as opposed to a throw) do?

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 14:08:14 PM »
I've used superking sized bed throws on my settees to protect them from my dog. I have 2 settees one of which is around 6'.5" long, I don't have much trouble with them slipping but the scatter cushions do tend to slip a bit.

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 16:15:26 PM »
The kingsize bedspreads I'm seen aren't long enough.

The settee has some good crevices for tucking in - I've had a loose cover before that worked very well (with some stitches) but wore out eventually.  It was one of those stretchy ones made to fit a range of sizes and shapes, and I got as close as I could to a replacement, but it was a disaster.  It looked great to start with, but after washing it (and yes, it was supposed to be washable), it looked horrendous - it no longer stretched down to fit.

Sorry about the measurements @Iminei , but throws are sized in cm, so I measured the settee in cm.

That's a good idea @BrendaP - I think that would put the vertical seams at the edges of the seat, which would mean they could be well tucked down.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 16:20:23 PM »
I too lost patience with throws, which I used to key pre-existing sofa into new house colour scheme.  Would not recommend.

Beware also that unless the fabric you choose has a high Martindale number it will likely wear fairly quickly.

I searched using this term and got a fair number of hits - might be worth a try:

2.5m wide upholstery fabric with high martindale number

Sewbusy

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 16:42:41 PM »
@Acorn if there are no cushions involved then it wouldn't be too difficult to sew a loose cover.

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 10:58:27 AM »
I was originally going to make a loose cover, but I don't want to put a lot of effort into it if it's going to fade or weaken quickly, and I don't like the feel of the treated fabrics.  There are separate seat cushions, but I think they could easily be accommodated underneath a loose cover.  I'm tempted to replace them with one long foam cushion anyway.  The settee is over 40 years old, chesterfield style, but in excellent condition underneath the covers.

Sewbusy

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2022, 11:57:02 AM »
@Acorn I recovered a 3 seater and a 2 seater settee a good few years ago, 10 boxed cushions, all piped and zipped!!
Actual covers with valances again piped and zipped.

They were white and were of necessity laundered frequently. After 12 years of use they still looked good as new, only parted with them because the springs had gone in the 3 seater. Not a single broken zip ever.

Was going to show photos but it appears my subscription has expired?? Best look into that!

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2022, 12:45:02 PM »
This is in the conservatory though and it will fade and the sun will weaken the fabric too, so just choosing a pale fabric won't solve the problem.

I did make new covers for the seat cushions many years ago when it wasn't in a conservatory.  Actually, if I were to do that with a throw underneath they would go a long way to keep the throw tidy.   :thinking:

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2022, 13:20:34 PM »
I bought a cheap double bed size throw from Amazon to fling over our leather couches to protect them from the cats’ claws and keep them clean.

I placed the throw where I wanted it with a fair bit hanging over the back and then hand sewed ribbon to tie above the arm rests to keep the throw in place. Seems to work ok as this is where I tend to spend the most time sitting/lying watching tv and reading/surfing etc. 

Obviously, it’s not a posh look but suits my needs. 😁

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 13:22:31 PM by WildAtlanticWay »

Sheilago

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2022, 09:01:56 AM »
I have throws on my conservatory furniture, as those are the only chairs my dog is allowed on and the furniture once belonged to my mother and is covered in cream fabric in pristine condition ! I got my throws from Dunelm, but the sofa is not huge, so their large throw fits perfectly  . It’s a Cintique 3 seater , but has wooden legs , so it’s not as bulky as many sofas.

Like others I am constantly shaking the throw out and rearranging it, but it does the job.