The Sewing Place

MORE Stabiliser Advice please

Iminei

MORE Stabiliser Advice please
« on: August 02, 2022, 07:54:28 AM »
Right ... Im starting to think about the dedication for Heathies quilt and am going to use a bit of his shirting which, if all goes well will be the same size as one of the front squares (6") and will be appliqued on the back with the stitching mirroring  a square on the front ... Well that the plan and I reserve the right to change plans if I want to!

Now I dont want this one square of the quilt to be harder than any of the rest of the quilt so need a stabiliser that will disappear. Tear away is not an option as the shirting is thin and wibbly as it is and Im sure Tearaway will distort the finished item.

Any ideas???

I DONT have any mesh type stabilisers (that I know of ... @Celia ???)
I DO have WSS both light and heavyweight.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 09:17:23 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Renegade Sewist

Re: Stabiliser Advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 08:35:21 AM »
@Iminei there several brands of heat away stabilizer on the market. They are mostly a thin plastic like film that you use as a topper or stabilizer. You use a spray on adhesive, just a bit of a wash away type to adhere to the fabric. Do your stitchery magic, trim or tear away the excess (trim!) then use a DRY IRON, NO STEAM to give it a press. It sort of shrivels away and you gently brush off the excess.

Other than that I have no clue.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 09:07:12 AM »
I've used the iron-away stabiliser, it works well, but if it's something you can wash, it's so much easier to use a water soluble.  Are you using your embroidery machine for the words, or letters on a sewing machine?  If the embroidery machine, then use your heavyweight wss, but try it on a spare bit first, shirting fabric, especially if it's poly-cotton, may pucker so may require two layers.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 09:47:37 AM »
I think I will go with the HD WSS that I used for the butterflies ... Its going to be quite simple, a few words I think .. Im still waiting on a call back from AJ, or A Gell, as to the exact wording. Im also going to add my own Levi label dedication.

Im going to post a pic of the quilt in my diary thread in a mo ... Binding decision will be next.

Celia

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 09:48:40 AM »
If you still have the wash away one that looks a bit like an interfacing rather than a plastic one then I would use 2 layers of that.  The best one is a mesh that washes away but leaves fibres under the embroidery but that isn’t necessary for lettering.

I wouldn’t use the heavy plastic one that used to be called Romeo for anyone that remembers, it is a swine to wash out of the sort of fabric you are using.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 10:01:59 AM »
I do have the thin WSS that you gave me ... it has a sort of weave look (?) to it ... is that the one?

Also something called Avalon ??? I remember that because of the Roxy Music song !!!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 10:03:37 AM by Iminei »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 10:09:56 AM »
If you're using the non-woven, I'd say try two layers of it.  As for the Avalon (yes I know the song!) there different thickness of it, which have you got?

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 10:17:50 AM »
No idea, it doesnt say ... the Article number is 940 ?

It looks and feels like a nasty cheap shower curtain.

Celia

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2022, 12:45:59 PM »
I think it’s this one

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 17:37:52 PM »
Yes, the colouration of the pack is different but I think thats the one ...

Celia

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2022, 18:12:18 PM »
I would suggest if you use that you use 2 layers, it’s not really my favourite for lettering, the material/fabricy water soluble is my preference, don’t think I have any at the moment or I would send you a bit.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 18:15:51 PM »
I much prefer the fabric type dissolvable.  I only use the plastic type for topping now after having a disaster with some pieces ripping and the embroidery distorting and ruining the piece. 

If you need some let me know I’m sure I’ve got some. 

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 09:08:18 AM »
The only WSS I have that looks anything like fabric is the one that looks like it has a sort of weave ... Its very thin though ... is that it?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2022, 12:44:32 PM »
I’ve had some like that.  As long as it’s definitely WSS and that’s what you want to use it should be ok.  I’d do a sample

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2022, 18:45:04 PM »
I have been sorting 'The Room' and amongst many other things I have found some WSS (?) from Somak (as  part of their introductory free package if I recall correctly) labelled as below ...

XH1
30 micron

Would this be any use? It feels similar to the WSS I inherited from @Celia ... a lil rough and there is a slight weave look to it.