The Sewing Place

Steam Generator Iron Advice

Acorn

Steam Generator Iron Advice
« on: August 02, 2022, 10:52:27 AM »
Having bought my new iron (and being relatively pleased with it) I spotted a steam generator iron for sale in a local charity shop at a very good price.  I thought about it for a while, and then decided it was too good a deal to miss - and after all, if I hate it, the money will have gone to a good cause.

So, I have a Domena DX8 Silver Collection steam generator iron.  Unfortunately it has no box and no instructions, and Google is coming up with absolutely no information - not even an acknowledgement that it exists.

I'm sure it's not terribly complicated - I can see where to put the water, and it doesn't have much in the way of buttons etc, but I am mildly concerned from a safety aspect, so any general advice would be helpful.

I suspect that I am not supposed to fill it (refill it) unless it is cold.  Is that right?

And the flat part where the iron sits has rubbery non-slip bumps.  Presumably these are heatproof, since I'm sure it's meant to sit on there while in use!?!

These are the controls on the base:
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The slider on the right is obviously to control the amount of steam.  However, what on earth do you think the other three symbols mean?  They have those membrane covered press thingies.

I am going to try it out this afternoon, but any advice would be very much appreciated!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

weary

Re: Steam Generator Iron Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 11:40:37 AM »
I reckon that the button to the left with the vertical line is on/off.
(it is a somewhat artistic representation of the standard EU on/off sign)
Middle button switches on 'steam'??

right-hand button = dunno.  (Clearly too artistic for me!)

Did find instructions for other steam irons in the range by searching domena irons instructions.  You may spot a similar model?? 
https://www.manua.ls/irons/domena

OOOhhhh look!  Just spotted this!! scroll down page.   Any help??

From that it looks like your 'buttons' may be indicator lights...Items 8 A/B/C.  Left to right Power light, steam generator temperature light, anti-scale cartridge change light. ????

Phil
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 12:06:29 PM by weary »

Elnnina

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 11:44:58 AM »
 I remember seeing one of these demonstrated at our knitting club many years ago now, and the name that springs to mind is Stirella, and this was used with a special ironing board that had a fan attached thus sort of sucked the steam away from underneath the board.

Now I have a Polti Steam generator iron, and I have some phials of a brown liquid that has to go into the water tank along with the water and this helps to stop a build up of scale within the tank.

Yes you are right about filling with cold water, but not overfill, and you cannot refill as soon as the tank has run out, you have to let  it cool down before trying to undo the pressure control to release what is left of the pressure.

Also a warning, should you be sitting down to iron, and by the way you need a mesh type ironing board, you can easily scald your legs - I have learnt the hard way, but then I have no choice but to sit down to iron/press.

However saying this, this type of iron gives a wonderful finish to a garment.

Now I have just looked on the internet, and there is a company called Domena UK, and they do an ironing press, so why not get in touch with them, you never know they might know or have some knowledge about your particular model - you have nothing to lose, and yes I do know that you have a steam generator as opposed to an ironing press.

Good luck.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 11:58:41 AM »
Thank you both!  @Elnnina Fortunately I don't sit down to iron, but I will bear in mind that steam will be coming through the board!  This model has a filter to stop limescale build-up.

@weary You are a genius!!  It makes more sense for those to be lights rather than buttons, and I was just thinking that I ought to replace the filter cartridge, but I will see what the light says.

No excuse to put off the ironing now...
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ouryve

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 14:42:06 PM »
I would test it on something old, first, to make sutlre it's not spewing out any muck.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"