The Sewing Place

"How do they Duvet Do It" August 2nd to 31st (photos by 3rd Sep)

SewRuthieSews

"How do they Duvet Do It" Contest

Inspired by GB Sewing Bee 2022 episode 4, we have our own version here at The Sewing Place.
This was the episode with the patchwork jacket, and if that part inspired you, please join in on The Sewalong for the Patchwork Jacket, but it also had a made to measure where duvet cover sets were turned into maxi dresses.

Have a rummage in your airing cupboard and dig out an old duvet cover (and pillowcases) and start planning what adult garment you would like to make from it.

Rules:
1. Sew a garment from a duvet cover (and optionally pillowcases).

2. The garment should be for an adult, and could be a dress shirt, PJs etc

3. A minimum of 2 photos are required, one showing the original duvet cover, spread out if possible on a bed, table or hung on a washing line, the 2nd of the finished garment.

Timeframe: Construction starts on 2nd August and the item must be completed by 31st August 2022.
All entries need to be uploaded with the template and at least one photo by 3rd September.

Template: Please submit your entries in this thread using this template

Details to include:
Your User Name and Entry Number (if entering more than once)
What it is with a short description on how you made it, any problems overcome etc.
Up to 4 photos - One of the pictures should be of the original duvet cover.

There will be a poll for Forum members to vote for their favourite(s).
(Number of votes will be proportional to the number of entries. If there are only 1 or 2 entries I won't run the poll.)

The winner can choose from The Sewing Places's
Prize Winners Enamel badge or Sew on Embroidered Patch.

SewRuthieSews

Re: "How do they Duvet Do It" August 2nd to 31st (photos by 3rd Sep)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 21:04:48 PM »
This is a great opportunity for those patterns which use a lot of fabric or have large or oddly shaped pieces.
I'm planning to adapt my TNT shirt pattern to have this extension and side tie from the current Burda Style magazine

« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 09:24:54 AM by SewRuthieSews »

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 22:12:50 PM »
 :laughing: I'm not sewing at the moment, still, so I wouldn't be entering anything. But first I had to look up duvet cover, which of course is a covering for a duvet, stoopid gurl. THEN I needed to look up what a duvet is.  :rolleyes: OK, something similar to a down blanket. I think some people here put covers on those but no one I know. We tend to use quilts, comforters or bedspreads as a topping layer on our beds, often over other blankets and always a top sheet as the bottom layer of all of that.

Then I looked up airing cupboard. We don't tend to have those, at least not my part of the US. I've never seen one and I've been in a lot of old houses. California we tend to have attached garages. The water heater is out there.

TSP is such an educational place.  :)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ouryve

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 00:02:53 AM »
We don't have a airing cupboard as we have a combo boiler. We could really do with a, system with a water tank but have nowhere to put one!

I'm sure @WildAtlanticWay will be along, at some point, to ask if we meant a hot press.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

PollyWally

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 01:32:19 AM »
In Australia we use the term doona rather than duvet just to be a little bit different !

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 07:53:34 AM »
Yes @Ouryve   Airing cupboard = Hot Press here in Ireland. All cupboards are known as Presses. I often wonder if a lot of American words actually came from the Irish. It would definitely make sense given the history of the two countries. 😁

Quilts and Duvet are more or less the same thing. These days the majority of duvets sold are made from polyester mix fabrics although plenty of people still prefer natural fabrics, wool and feathers.

By a strange coincidence, this week I’ve swapped DS’s single duvet for a double as he’s getting taller and the single doesn’t seem to cover him so well. I was wondering about what to do with his old duvet covers as I’m sorting a lot of his old clothes to donate to the Charity (Thrift) Shop but I might keep one of his duvet covers back for this challenge.
 😁 Good timing @SewRuthieSews

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 09:05:38 AM »
@WildAtlanticWay , the word press for cupboard does come from Gaelic. I know ‘ the cupboard’ in Scottish Gaelic is ‘am preas’. I expect Irish will be very similar.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 09:06:24 AM »
 :boohoo: I have recently cut up a couple of old Duvet Covers for toiles, so I guess I'll have to look for SM bargains, or make a trip to the charity shop...  :thinking: :thinking:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ouryve

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 09:17:43 AM »
I currently have nothing that is suitable for anything more than toiles. I did have a lovely crisp cotton one that shrank unevenly in the wash but that is now a top and an apron with not a lot of it left! The rest are polucotton kids' ones.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Kwaaked

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2022, 11:49:19 AM »
We tend to have linen closets in the US, regardless of if they are in with the water heater or a stand alone.

I have an airing cupboard, as does most older homes in my neck of the woods where our linen is shelved with the water heater to keep the linens from getting damp and moldy, since mold is a problem in Tennessee.  We call it the aforementioned linen closet. 

I also own a duvet cover, my husband hates it and I can't seem to keep the blanket in the cover from bunching (we both move a lot in our sleep), so we took it to the cabin since we have to have a blanket to sleep with and it works for summer okay when it is empty.

Not going to enter this one...I am making bed curtains and a bedspread out of jacquard (very plain sewing as it goes) and not in the scope of the contest.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2022, 12:48:48 PM »
I am open to requests for using curtains, tablecloths and other household linens if people don't have a suitable duvet cover.

Sheilago

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 18:31:17 PM »
I’m not entering as I very rarely make adult clothes, but during the first lockdown, I went online and bought whatever good quality duvet covers were available heavily discounted online. I got real bargains from Just Linen.

I then made scrubs for a local care home and my daughter liked them so much she asked if I’d make her some for work. She was a dog groomer and pregnant at the time, so they were perfect. I bought doggy quilt covers and made 2 pairs. I also made  various dungarees for my little granddaughter to play in. Here are some photos. I’ve removed faces to protect the innocent!  :laughing: Maybe I posted these at the time, can’t remember.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 21:48:36 PM »
@Sheilago those are brilliant, thanks for sharing them :-)

SewRuthieSews