The Sewing Place

Grey needlecord trousers

Silver Rose

Grey needlecord trousers
« on: August 03, 2022, 14:31:22 PM »
I cut out the trousers this morning and have used a contrast cotton lawn for the pocket and the waist facing. I used good old favourite McCalls 6901 but I prefer a centre back zip to a fly front and waist facing rather than a waistband.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I need to get some grey thread but I have probably got a suitable zip somewhere.
Still learning

Ploshkin

Re: Grey needlecord trousers
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 14:46:20 PM »
I always like to choose a nice fabric for the pocket bags and waistband facing even though no one else can see it  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

Diane

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 18:27:37 PM »
@Silver Rose You have great taste in fabric, can't wait to see the finished trousers
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 16:52:56 PM »
Did a little bit before Jo came to pamper my feet. I have tailor tacked the darts and pined them and the front and back seams now I need some suitable thread and grey bias binding to finish off the facings so a trip to Franklins in town. Franklins in Ipswich are moving to larger premises a  bit further down the main shopping street, they could really do with more space, this move should happen at the end of September, the Colchester shop is much bigger, I used to spend ages looking in there.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 09:06:58 AM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 09:35:19 AM »
The fabric looks lovely, is it stretchy?

Thinking about your zip, I've never had a pair of trousers with a back zip, I never even knew it was a thing. 

toileandtrouble

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 09:57:11 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper Not a child of the sixties then?
After I posted, I realised it was more of the 50s. Oh dear.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 09:59:15 AM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 10:41:53 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper the needlecord has 1% elastane so a little bit of stretch, I prefer a  centre back zip in skirts or trousers  because I like a smooth front.  You are right @toileandtrouble I can remember being given a pair of red 'pedal pushers'  trousers with a back zip when I was a teenager in the late 1950s, just like a teenaged film star, pony tail hair do as well. After watching an early GBSB programme I'd probably make a mess of a zip fly as some of the contestants did  :D
Still learning

LeilaMay

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 14:02:16 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper Not a child of the sixties then?
After I posted, I realised it was more of the 50s. Oh dear.

Don't worry, I made back zip trousers fro myself in the 70s  :)
I like them much better and was thinking of doing them like that now.

Puzzler

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 14:34:03 PM »
Do you use an invisible zip? I was watching a YouTube video last night and the vlogger mentioned she didn’t use them in trousers as they weren’t strong enough. I personally prefer a side zip but my waist isn’t that much smaller than my hips so a fairly straight run.

Silver Rose

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 15:43:05 PM »
I use a ordinary zip, i have never put in an invisible zip  :scream:, my jumpers cover up any zips  ;) if the they should be less than perfect  :laughing:
Still learning

Surest1tch

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2022, 18:27:47 PM »
I prefer back zips too, well most of the time anyhow. I think for me they look much nicer when you've got a bit of a tummy, however they are a pain if I've been hanging on and hanging on for the loo  :scream:, you can't see the zip lock and have to feel for it   :laughing:

Ouryve

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2022, 19:39:43 PM »
My issue is that I have enough of a bit of a tummy, particularly when bloated, and not enough of a bum for trousers to not stay up without some sort of a belt, which doesn't work with either a side or rear zip. Then again, my bit of a tummy includes a fair bit of loose skin, which shows through anything smooth at the front. Bulky clutter like zips and pockets covers it all up, nicely.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Greybird

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2022, 09:34:57 AM »
The trousers are going to be lovely @Silver Rose .

I always do a back zip - always invisible and I haven't broken one yet - so that the front is smooth and, because I have short arms, I have a problem reaching far enough round to do up a side zip.

Silver Rose

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2022, 09:38:08 AM »
I really ought to have a go at an invisible zip, I'll look out for some YouTube demos.
Still learning

Greybird

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2022, 09:56:42 AM »
@Silver Rose - have a look at the Kenneth D King one. You will need a haemostat which you can get on Ebay for £2-3. This is the method I always use and I have found it foolproof.