The Sewing Place

Grey needlecord trousers

Silver Rose

Grey needlecord trousers
« on: August 03, 2022, 14:31:22 PM »
I cut out the trousers this morning and have used a contrast cotton lawn for the pocket and the waist facing. I used good old favourite McCalls 6901 but I prefer a centre back zip to a fly front and waist facing rather than a waistband.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I need to get some grey thread but I have probably got a suitable zip somewhere.

Ploshkin

Re: Grey needlecord trousers
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 14:46:20 PM »
I always like to choose a nice fabric for the pocket bags and waistband facing even though no one else can see it  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

Diane

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 18:27:37 PM »
@Silver Rose You have great taste in fabric, can't wait to see the finished trousers
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 16:52:56 PM »
Did a little bit before Jo came to pamper my feet. I have tailor tacked the darts and pined them and the front and back seams now I need some suitable thread and grey bias binding to finish off the facings so a trip to Franklins in town. Franklins in Ipswich are moving to larger premises a  bit further down the main shopping street, they could really do with more space, this move should happen at the end of September, the Colchester shop is much bigger, I used to spend ages looking in there.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 09:06:58 AM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 09:35:19 AM »
The fabric looks lovely, is it stretchy?

Thinking about your zip, I've never had a pair of trousers with a back zip, I never even knew it was a thing. 

toileandtrouble

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 09:57:11 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper Not a child of the sixties then?
After I posted, I realised it was more of the 50s. Oh dear.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 09:59:15 AM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  650g
Fabric down:  7. 25m

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 10:41:53 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper the needlecord has 1% elastane so a little bit of stretch, I prefer a  centre back zip in skirts or trousers  because I like a smooth front.  You are right @toileandtrouble I can remember being given a pair of red 'pedal pushers'  trousers with a back zip when I was a teenager in the late 1950s, just like a teenaged film star, pony tail hair do as well. After watching an early GBSB programme I'd probably make a mess of a zip fly as some of the contestants did  :D
Still learning

LeilaMay

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 14:02:16 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper Not a child of the sixties then?
After I posted, I realised it was more of the 50s. Oh dear.

Don't worry, I made back zip trousers fro myself in the 70s  :)
I like them much better and was thinking of doing them like that now.

Puzzler

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 14:34:03 PM »
Do you use an invisible zip? I was watching a YouTube video last night and the vlogger mentioned she didn’t use them in trousers as they weren’t strong enough. I personally prefer a side zip but my waist isn’t that much smaller than my hips so a fairly straight run.

Silver Rose

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 15:43:05 PM »
I use a ordinary zip, i have never put in an invisible zip  :scream:, my jumpers cover up any zips  ;) if the they should be less than perfect  :laughing:
Still learning

Surest1tch

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2022, 18:27:47 PM »
I prefer back zips too, well most of the time anyhow. I think for me they look much nicer when you've got a bit of a tummy, however they are a pain if I've been hanging on and hanging on for the loo  :scream:, you can't see the zip lock and have to feel for it   :laughing:

Ouryve

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2022, 19:39:43 PM »
My issue is that I have enough of a bit of a tummy, particularly when bloated, and not enough of a bum for trousers to not stay up without some sort of a belt, which doesn't work with either a side or rear zip. Then again, my bit of a tummy includes a fair bit of loose skin, which shows through anything smooth at the front. Bulky clutter like zips and pockets covers it all up, nicely.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working.
Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry.

Greybird

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2022, 09:34:57 AM »
The trousers are going to be lovely @Silver Rose .

I always do a back zip - always invisible and I haven't broken one yet - so that the front is smooth and, because I have short arms, I have a problem reaching far enough round to do up a side zip.

Silver Rose

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2022, 09:38:08 AM »
I really ought to have a go at an invisible zip, I'll look out for some YouTube demos.
Still learning

Greybird

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2022, 09:56:42 AM »
@Silver Rose - have a look at the Kenneth D King one. You will need a haemostat which you can get on Ebay for £2-3. This is the method I always use and I have found it foolproof.