The Sewing Place

Singer Featherweight SOLD

LeilaMay

Singer Featherweight SOLD
« on: August 05, 2022, 13:52:58 PM »
I've decided to sell one of my Featherweights, so I'm putting it here first for folks to have a think about - I know a couple of people said they'd really like one.

This one is a 221K (a standard Featherweight, not the one with the free-arm) black, 1956 with "Prism" decals in really nice condition.
It has a set of bobbins, all it's feet, a LED bulb and it's black case, and it works nicely; I have pieced a quilt top on it  :)

I'd really like it to go to someone who wants one, so I am open for an offer rather than setting a silly price and putting people off. If you've been yearning for one, please get in touch, I'm not trying to make oodles on this, just to let one go (I do have others)

It is possible apparently to pack these for transit - the Featherweight Shop has a tutorial on how to do it - but knowing how carriers handle things these days I would really rather it was collected. (Somerset) We would happily drive 50 miles or so in your direction to help, but then obviously you wouldn't be able to test it wherever we met up.

Anyway, please let me know if you'd like it   <3

Leila

ETA - for anyone who doesn't know (but then if you don't know, you probably don't want one LOL) Featherweights were small, aluminum-bodied  electric striaght stitch machines. Fairly easy to keep working despite being over 50 years old, and keenly sought-after by quilters as they are nice to take to classes. There is a super website and business in USA with oodles of info and pictures at:

https://singer-featherweight.com/

I really recommend them for a learning resource.

Some UK supplies can be found here:

https://www.the-littlest-thistle.com/2018/11/announcing-the-uk-featherweight-supply-shop.html
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 14:52:37 PM by LeilaMay »

Puzzler

Re: Singer Featherweight for sale
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 14:47:29 PM »
I hope someone here snaps this up. I absolutely adore my Featherweight.

LeilaMay

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 15:00:58 PM »
I do love them too  :vintage:, but managed to have four!!! I don't know how that happened, and seriously, who needs four?
(I kept thinking "I could use one for spares" - but actually someone ought to have the chance :)
So I still have one black, one white and a free arm. And someone could have this one to love. Took me ages to decide which one to let go LOL

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 18:46:40 PM »
Is this electric or treadle ?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

LeilaMay

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 20:17:59 PM »

LeilaMay

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 20:22:02 PM »
Also, just so folks know, I could be open to a degree of bartering!

I could possibly accept hand knitting wool for example, or yardage of P&Q or dressmaking fabrics, in addition to some actual £££.

It's not about making lots of cash, it's about passing along a lovely little machine that someone might have been dreaming about. :vintage:

Share the love  <3

Ouryve

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 23:16:25 PM »
The top one in that link looks very much like the machine my mum had when I was little, in the early 70s.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

LeilaMay

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 10:43:01 AM »
The top one in that link looks very much like the machine my mum had when I was little, in the early 70s.
A happy memory I hope :)

LeilaMay

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 12:59:42 PM »
Just to add - I find I do have the little green instruction booklet that goes with the machine :)

Serial number - EL5382722

LeilaMay

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 13:22:16 PM »
Machine is now listed on eBay - so I have taken a set of photographs. You can either find it there or I would email you some photographs if you were interested.

Ouryve

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 23:21:03 PM »
A happy memory I hope :)

Turns out the machine I remembered was a Jones but my mum was given it when she was 14 so that would date from the early 60s and no doubt be similar in style, though, as she said,  a little more square.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"