The Sewing Place

Ways to make flying geese

Deafoldbat

Ways to make flying geese
« on: June 24, 2017, 19:19:31 PM »
Since we don't want to digress too far off topic in the Mystery Quilt thread, here are ways to make flying geese, Other ideas will doubtless be along shortly...

The basic model:

Take:

One quarter-square triangle (QST), that is one with the straight grain along the long side of the triangle, with two 45deg angles and a 90deg angle at the top. Usually cut by dividing a square diagonally, twice, hence the name. The square/long-side of the triangle will measure the finished width of the FG unit plus 1¼ inches

One square cut diagonally once to make 2 half-square triangles (HST), The short sides of the triangles will be on the straight grain, each side of the 90deg corner. The short sides will measure finished height of the FG unit plus seven eighths of an inch.

Sew the long edges of the HSTs to the short edges  of the QSTs, matching the 45deg points. You will have 2 little 'dog ears' at the top. Press the unit and trim off the points, and check the size of the unit, which should be finished size plus ½ inch seam allowances (ie ¼ extra all the way round).

Deafoldbat

Re: Ways to make flying geese
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 19:28:40 PM »
The next method to make flying geese requires sewing before cutting.

Take one square, finished width plus 1¼ inches. Take 4 squares, finished height plus seven-eighths of an inch. Mark the diagonals of these squares, and sewing lines ¼ inch each side.  Place 2 small squares on the large square, diagonally opposite each other, matching the corners. The centre corners of the small squares will overlap, and can be trimmed if you wish. Sew along the marked sewing lines on both sides of the squares (all layers), and cut along the marked diagonal. You will now have 2 large HSTs each with 2 small HSTs along the longest edge. Press the units.
Put another small square on each unit in the right angled corner of the larger HST. Sew each side of the marked diagonal and cut along the diagonal. Press.

Each set of I large square and 4 small squares will give you 4 Flying Geese

supergran

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 19:48:01 PM »
Thanks for that DOB, I'll try those methods. I like the sound of the second one in particular.  :)

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 20:01:48 PM »
Thanks for that DOB. The second method is the one Sarah Payne calls the "no waste" method. It makes most sense to me but I'll try them both. I'm still on the steep bit of the learning curve where triangles are concerned....if you know what I mean.  :\
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Syrinx

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 20:35:01 PM »
And the most fun. FPP. Great for scraps and you don't need exact shapes, just sew on your paper as you've got the lines to fit the fabric between. Hand or machine sewn.

rubywishes

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 06:55:34 AM »
I'm hopeless at doing "nice" flying geese unless I use the second method.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 10:20:22 AM »
I like the first way  :)
 :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Deafoldbat

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 20:37:05 PM »
For those who like pictures with their instructions, look here http://www.quilterscache.com/H/Howtomakegeese.html

This gives 3 methods - the first one is simple; the second one, imho, wastes valuable fabric, but it works; the third one - making 4 at a time isn't really speed sewing at all, it just rearranges the steps from the first method, if you think about it.

But it's only patchwork - do whatever suits you best and keep an ear cocked for the sirens.... :devil:

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 00:45:27 AM »
Interesting that she says 2.5" x 4.5" and 2.5" squares make a 4" flying goose when Imi said those dimensions gives 4.5"  -<

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 07:14:28 AM »
Interesting that she says 2.5" x 4.5" and 2.5" squares make a 4" flying goose when Imi said those dimensions gives 4.5"

That, I think, is because she is joining the triangles to the rectangle so losing the seam allowance, whereas the method I used is sewing the squares onto the rectangle Then pressing back and cutting (if you want) so you don't have a seam allowance to lose ...I think ?!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 10:05:29 AM »
Oh, okaaay  -<
I always find it a flipping faff, whichever way I do it   :\ I'm often sorely tempted with fg just to use 4xhsts and not worry about the join down the middle  :P
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:07:40 AM by Lowena »

Deafoldbat

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 19:12:43 PM »
Further thoughts on the flying geese....

If you cut a square into QSTs, and the fabric is directional, eg stripes, you will have 2 geese with vertical stripes, and 2 with horizontal stripes. If this bothers you (knowing how fussy some people can be sometimes ;)) you can cut the QSTs from strips, cutting the end of the strip at 45 deg, then alternating 'one up, one down'. There doesn't seem to be a magic number to add on to work out the width of the strip, so unless you've got a ruler (eg https://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatalog/Omnigrid-Right-Triangle---Up-to-8--Sides---R98--Patchwork-Ruler-121.html#SID=276 ) that will do the thinking for you, you will need to draw the triangle the size you need, plus seam allowances and measure the height to work out how wide the strip has to be.

Of course, 2-way striped geese mean you can get all the stripes going the same way in a sawtooth star, so it isn't all bad news...