The Sewing Place

McCalls summer patterns

Tamnymore

McCalls summer patterns
« on: August 06, 2022, 21:51:12 PM »
McCalls have just released their summer patterns - yes I know - summer! Find them here.

I think there are some good patterns here. I love that they are releasing some vintage Laura Ashley patterns and I'll certainly want to snag the pattern with the blouse and pinafore. There's a very flouncy skirt pattern which someone on pattern review described as 'death by gathers'  :laughing:  I can see several patterns I like so to my mind this is a much better release than the last Butterick and Vogue releases.  Very late for summer and no digital versions as far as I can see though.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

toileandtrouble

Re: McCalls summer patterns
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 22:06:57 PM »
Probably summer on the @other side'.  I think the company is American owned, isn't it?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

William

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 22:15:29 PM »
Not a bad collection by any means, but nothing special either...
WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 22:30:22 PM »
@Tamnymore im not sure we get the Laura Ashley  patterns here.  I don’t think we used to anyway. 

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 22:39:39 PM »
You are right @Ohsewsimple - it says they only ship the Laura Ashley patterns to a limited set of countries which doesn't include the UK ..... sobs quietly into her porridge.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 22:52:45 PM »
Sorry @Tamnymore i seem to remember some of the patterns aren’t sold here. Not just LA.

Ouryve

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 23:08:11 PM »
A little more fashion forward in the little bo peep sense than dome offerings but what is it with all the weird stuff with O rings and how creepy are these?
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 23:15:47 PM »
Well there are certainly lots of gathers there!

Can anyone tell me the difference between M8331 and M8311 other than the size ranges?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 23:56:59 PM »
Probably summer on the @other side'.  I think the company is American owned, isn't it?

@toileandtrouble , used to be. In January 2020 it was announced that Design Group, the UK company that makes party goods, etc., bought the "Big Four" from CSS Industries.

So ladies if this seems late we can attribute it to a UK company.  ;)

I can't find it now but I read the Laura Ashley restrictions were imposed by LA.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2022, 00:18:31 AM »
Probably summer on the @other side'.

:) Last I checked it was summer on your side as well. We use astronomical seasons, solstices and equinoxes, rather than meteorological seasons, i.e. June-July-August.

They should be releasing Autumn/Fall now, not Summer. We have to order patterns, wait, order fabric, wait, find time to sew (lots of waiting there), do finishing touches and find time to press the garments.

In this day of corporate take overs and gigantic investment groups, where people with business sense but no clue about the product line or the consumers thereof run things it's a marvel that the "major" pattern companies still exist. True for so many things these days.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2022, 10:10:31 AM »
Not really my cup of tea, too small and dumpy although I can remember a time (long  time) when I would have gone for the first two.  I've never looked good in 'flouncy'.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2022, 10:20:18 AM »
Yes those first two are plus size and regular size versions of the same thing. Good on you if you are a plus size and brave enough to sport the D ring creation - not me though.   :laughing: I can see a couple of patterns I'd use - not, alas the LA one as it turns out.  :( I'm not averse to the odd flounce!  I do remember getting LA patterns in the UK in the 1970s and 80s but whatever it was on the copyright thing that changed must still be in force. I do have some vintage LA patterns  - in teeny sizes - which I could try redrafting if I feel the urge I suppose. I agree @Renegade Sewist it does seem as if the Big 4 have lost their way a bit.

Greybird

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2022, 12:15:20 PM »
Lost their way and wandering in the wilderness! I can remember wondering which patterns I could afford to buy - several a year anyway. I think it's about 4 years now since I saw anything of theirs that I wanted to buy. As for this offering I can't see anything worth a second look. I know I'm old and young people might think that they're wonderful, but why on earth can't they include a few updated classics?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2022, 12:48:04 PM »
I remember making a Laura Ashley dress years ago.  Probably haven’t got the pattern now.  I’m not a flounce and frills person. 
Being able to resize patterns is useful @Tamnymore.  I’ve looked at some of mine and wondered about doing it. 

Tamnymore

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2022, 13:16:37 PM »
Alas I didn't keep my original LA patterns but I've picked up one or two online. Don't know if I can resize them @Ohsewsimple but I'll give it a go!