The Sewing Place

Sports bra toile

BrendaP

Sports bra toile
« on: August 11, 2022, 18:54:16 PM »
It's several years since I made a bra and this is a new pattern to me
https://fit2sew.co.uk/product/ingrid-wirefree-bra-pattern/

I made the 36" band with 4.5" bottom cup depth and it actually fits me; better than it fits Agatha.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Because I wasn't expecting it to fit I used up bits and pieces of odd colours from stash, and I didn't have a wide enough set of hooks and eyes so used two narrow sets.  I have one set that's almost wide enough to use on the proper version, and it's not difficult to adjust the back provided you do it before sewing on the strap elastic.

It's the first time I've used fold over elastic on a bra and I clearly didn't stretch it enough.   :scream: I might go back to picot elastic for the neckline. 

Note to self; sew the stabiliser strips to the WRONG side so that it doesn't show on the finished item.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SewRuthieSews

Re: Sports bra toile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 20:26:52 PM »
Thats a serious piece of engineering there @BrendaP - I'm impressed!

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 21:08:43 PM »
I'm always impressed by what you make,  @BrendaP.

I would like to have a go at bra making but I'm thinking not until they've settled down a bit more,  post menopause. Just back in February I decided to buy 2 more of a bra that fitted me well and was comfortable.  They got one wear and are now far too big. I've only lost 4lb (not even trying - just maintaining the no sugary carp WOE)  and that's the only place it's gone from - waist (alleged) to shoulders.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 22:36:48 PM by Ouryve »
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Vezelay

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 21:57:40 PM »
A sports bra, and it fits too - you're an inspiration @BrendaP! And your post filled a hole in my knowledge of elastics, so thank you. Looking forward to seeing the final garment.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 22:06:53 PM »
Ah, one of BJ's patterns.  Lots of good details there. 

I particularly like the two sets of hooks.  :laughing:   Very novel.  What a shame as it fits.   Wear it round the house, no one will know!

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 09:48:10 AM »
Looking good @BrendaP .

Another Beverly Johnson fan, I’m supposed to be tweaking her Classic bra pattern but as I am losing weight albeit slowly, I’m hanging fire at the moment.

At least you can wear the bra and check for comfort and fit, who’s going to know about your unique fastening arrangement?

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 09:52:16 AM »
I have two of Beverley's bra making coures on Craftsy.  Excellent detail, but she makes it look so easy.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2022, 10:12:19 AM »
That looks a very comfortable bra - I like those straps @BrendaP .  I  keep threatening to re-visit bra making ...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2022, 12:52:38 PM »
Yeah I think I’ve got two as well. And her books on CD. I always said when I retired I would spend more time on getting a good fit as I seem to take ages doing things like that.  Maybe I'll have to do that this autumn.   :thinking:

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2022, 18:49:33 PM »
Here is the proper thing and again it fits me better than it fits Aggie!
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Much of the fitting problem with her is that she doesn't need the pocket, and there isn't enough give in it to go around her properly.  RTW pocketed bras have pockets on both sides but they are shaped so that they will fit over the natural boob where only one side needs a prosthesis.  Custom made bras can have a flat pocket that doesn't have to wrinkle up underneath the prosthetic form.

Drafting the pattern for the pocket was a bit trial and error; the best online advice was to use the cup pattern pieces (all four of them) tape together and then squish/crumple it all so it lays flat.  That combined with using a stretchy liner fabric has worked well, and looks much neater than the regular bras that I have added pockets to by hand sewing.

I used picot elastic all around the arms and neckline instead of the suggested fold over elastic and a single set of hooks and eyes at the back.  I think there might be enough duoplex fabric from the kit to make another bra but that will have to have red straps and elastics.

Lachica

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2022, 19:05:32 PM »
That's beautifully sewn @BrendaP . Lovely fabric too. It all looks very complicated, I'm in awe of anyone able to make something so fiddly.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2022, 19:28:16 PM »
Darkside skills! 
Accurate cutting, quarter inch seams, stitched in the ditch.

Ouryve

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2022, 19:32:39 PM »
Beautifully made @BrendaP. I love the petals fabric.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Surest1tch

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2022, 20:35:12 PM »
Love that bra @BrendaP, you've made a fabulous proffesional looking garment 👍.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2022, 21:34:09 PM »
That’s a great make @BrendaP.  Where was the kit from ?